SotU 386 - Songs of the Seventies

Inspired by Jon's couple of beaut Loudon W. covers ..here's another from his first album.The lighting is natural...just a lovely sunny day..no filters or software perks.

Great theme this week Keith, thanks for hosting! I only wish i had more time, as I have no shortage of songs i'd love to learn from the '70's. Learned this one this week for a local uke meetup!

We interrupt our regularly scheduled Season to announce the intro post for Season 387 is live. Carry on!

This prelude is a beautiful piece of music by Frederic Chopin. I adapted this performance from John King’s arrangement in “The Classical Ukulele”. Even my simplified version is a bit beyond my reach. :)

Here, from Wikipedia, is how it fits this season.

"”Could It Be Magic" is a song with lyrics by Adrienne Anderson and music by Barry Manilow, based on Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, Opus 28, Number 20. Initially released in 1971 by Featherbed (a group of session musicians featuring Barry Manilow), produced and co-written by Tony Orlando, it was later re-recorded as a Barry Manilow solo track, given a first album and single release in 1973 on Bell Records and - after remixing - an album and single rerelease in 1975 on Arista Records. The 1975 re-release became one of Manilow's first hits. The song has been recorded by a number of other artists over the years, most successfully by Donna Summer in 1976 and by Take That in 1992.”

The prelude, on piano, is featured in the song before the lyrics begin, and informs the melody throughout the song.

Hope you enjoy it!

1970s musical theatre is my jam!
Here is a pretty little song from Jesus Christ Superstar - ‘I Don’t Know How To Love Him’

A season of songs from the 1970’s would hardly be a season without any Kinks. Quick one from 1971’s Muswell Hillbillies album after a week+ of dealing with the SoCal earthquakes a week ago.

sorry. Life got in the way this week(surprise memorial service, helping someone move) and I couldn't get a recording done. The good news is that the person that moved left our spare room. I already claimed it for making a studio/storage room! Might take me a week or two to be able to contribute again as my brother and I have to move lots of stuff into that room(computer desk, all my recording/music kit, a few shelving units, my astronomy stuff and several large boxes of magic the gathering cards.)

Well there’s about 40 mins give or take of the Season. So I’ll bring this. In the same way that Bowie exploded on our consciences when he did Starman (already covered this Season by Ryan) on Top Of The Pops, horrifying our parents in the process :D, Roxy Music exploded in a similar way with Virginia Plain. We hadn’t heard anything like this before. After a while their sound became much more slick and dare I say it, mainstream, but I’ll always thank them for that first album from 1972. As debuts go, it’s up there with the very very best to my mind.

Just came to say, in the immortal words of 'The Big O' "It's over..."

Thanks for coming along this week, & I hope you all enjoyed yourselves.........now go get that funny looking uke & join Rick, with his 'Shapes of Things'. :)

Top Bottom