SotU 386 - Songs of the Seventies

Last edited:
Ok, this one doesn't really follow the rules... True, it was recorded originally in the 70's, but I did the video today at a Farmer's Market, loaded it to YouTube, then realized I'd need to redo the whole thing to include a statement about being done for Season 386...

...and that would be like work.

So here it is, use it or not. Dance, Dance, Dance, originally recorded by the Steve Miller Band.

This song was covered a lot in the early 70's. The biggest version in the USA was by Mac Davis, but I always liked the Doug Kershaw version. Been wanting to try this one for awhile. Sadly Keith, it took me a few takes, I messed up the solo a few times.

Here's some Bowie that is way out side my vocal range.

Ok, this one doesn't really follow the rules... True, it was recorded originally in the 70's, but I did the video today at a Farmer's Market, loaded it to YouTube, then realized I'd need to redo the whole thing to include a statement about being done for Season 386...

...and that would be like work.

So here it is, use it or not. Dance, Dance, Dance, originally recorded by the Steve Miller Band.

We're on my rules this week.......& I don't really have any.....so not a problem. ;)

Here's a Del Reeves Bakersfield style country song, my personal favorite style of country music, from 1970. Another 1 taker for you Keith!

I could probably sit here all day playing songs from the 70s, but time is tight...and our host asked us to have fun, so here's one I haven't tried before, on a most un-rock'n'roll uke.

Thanks to the Seasons I have nearly recorded and posted to YouTube all the songs I wrote in the 1970s. The one you are about to see is one of the last in the queue.

Here is a little background:

This song was written after chatting with a female friend who was in a relationship with a guy among my circle of friends. The woman in question admitted she felt intellectually challenged by the company her boyfriend kept, but complained that he didn’t help matters by not realising there was more to her than he was assuming. I wrote this song for her.

Yes, as recently as 1979, it was still possible to see this type of behaviour among even apparently educated UK males. And sadly, I bet it still is in some circles.

I also drew on memories of my own sense of intellectual inferiority among one of my older cousin's group of friends when I was 15.

Hope you enjoy:

A smash hit from 1873.

This is another song I used to play on my great-grandmother's Magnus chord organ when I was a little kid.

Here's another song I've been wanting to try. From 1971 by "Whispering" Bill Anderson. Says it all about the end of a relationship.

Top Bottom