SotU 386 - Songs of the Seventies

Hi, Keith --

Hope to squeeze in a couple this week. It's my era, after all, dang it!

And I need to do something to prime folks for my season, which starts Sunday!

Here's a song by Chicago. I'm glad I got a decent take on my first try, because my voice barely made it through the one take. I've been having some kind of breathing problem the last few months (maybe from a deviated septum) that's making it really hard to stay in my head voice when I'm singing.

this is a hawkwind song from 1971. the band would be a great choice for a seventies, eighties, nineties, or noughties week, as they've been going forever! :rock:

Last edited:
Looking through the track listings of a few "Hits of the 70s" compilations, it's almost as if punk never happened - lots of glam rock, soul & disco, but not a lot from the explosion of 77/78. So, to help put things right, here's one from those purveyors of perfect pop, Buzzcocks.

Lindisfarne are a Tyneside Band (named after an island off the Northumbrian Coast, famous for its religious associations, especially in the Saxon Era). They came to prominence in the 1970s and Lady Eleanor originally released in 1970 but did very little. Their 'biggy' was Fog on the Tyne and Lady Eleanor was re-released after Fog on the Tyne and did much better. Like all bands, they had their ups and downs but remain popular in NE England. I saw them, it must have been the late 90s as it was after the death of their main songwriter and lead singer, Alan Hull at the early age of 50. I prefer this to Fog on the Tyne. They were very good.

Was this a one-hit wonder? I never heard of this guy anywhere else but this one song. But then, I wasn't really paying much attention back then.

keith loves instrumentals, and he loves harmonica! however he might not love this! a homemade instrumental for the season, featuring uke and the little harmonica keyring i won in john aka one man and his uke's fab "connections" season

WARNING - i can't play harmonica :uhoh:

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot

According to Wikipedia this one is from 1970. I was feeling camera-shy this week so I got creative with some classic Hollywood - hope you enjoy :)

Just under the wire. April 1970. Neil Young and Crazy Horse. A car tune because I had no other way to make it happen. On my Flea koa soprano. Wish I could do more, Keith!!

I am fortunate enough to have a songbook with the songs indexed by decade, so I could easily look through appropriate songs.
I went with this one from Gary Wright.

Top Bottom