Thread: Vertical Bracing System for Ukulele

Default Vertical Bracing System for Ukulele

I adapted a vertical bracing system from Taylor guitars by designer Andy Powers to an ukulele top. Experiments have been ongoing, but encouraging. It is not the killer bracing system to end all bracing systems as I had hoped, but gives a lovely balanced and separated sound. There has been no bridge rotation (yet). In my hands the sustain is really good. Volume a little diminished. I suspect that it needs a little thicker top than I use for traditional fan bracing (75-80). Maybe in the 90 area? We shall see...

Below is my template for your enjoyment and use if you so choose. These dimensions of course are not written in stone and your results, as they say, may vary. Also apologies for the graphic, does not fit on an 8.5 x 11 scanner bed. Oh and the vertical braces go under the transverse brace.

bracing.jpg DSCN8210.jpg

That's similar to the A-bracing that Ovation used. My take is that if a top doesn't distort a little bit it has been left too heavy. A solid-body instrument provides the most sustain and the least volume, so going for the most of both in an acoustic instrument is always going to be a challenge. Adding a pickup to your vertical bracing might make it a very versatile system.

This is how i did it. I like its sound very much. uke1.jpg
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti

Nice work... I actually think my take on the system is a bit over braced for an ukulele. I'm just trying to find the point where the top doesn't deform (much). I think I can go much lighter.

This is how I did it.... I'm not sure about it yet...It still thinks it is a tree... I need play it more to know. DSCN1421e.jpgDSCN1633ce.jpg

A roughly baritone sized guitar, not finished yet though.

There is some logic to orientating the fans in this way to minimise the lower bout bellying.

However, there is an equal amount of logic to orientate the fans the usual way to minimise the top dipping in its most vulnerable area- in front of the bridge.

Just a thought......

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    There is some logic to orientating the fans in this way to minimise the lower bout bellying.

However, there is an equal amount of logic to orientate the fans the usual way to minimise the top dipping in its most vulnerable area- in front of the bridge.
    So, let's split the difference and make the fans parallel!

My current tenor guitar project, which will have nylon strings, has a V-style bracing adapted from the Taylor model. I can't say how it will sound yet, but I tried to keep both the braces and top as light as possible. I'm hoping the nylon strings will be enough to drive the 23" scale instrument. I like the tenor guitar size, but have not liked the twanginess of tenor guitars I've heard. With DGBE tuning, I plan to play it the same way I play my baritone.

Thread Information