What is your traveler?

My Cocobolo concert uke went with us on our vacation last spring.
It's my main gigging instrument, so it travels to do those, in a hard case.
It hides the weed really well, too....for those who need to know.

Of course if you don't have to worry about airport security lines and tiny overhead bins you can travel with one of these.

bass.jpg

I think the Enya pineapple soprano is the best sounding of the HPL Enya's, and it is a perfect travel uke!

Incidentally, I just heard from Flight (I had contacted them a few months ago) about a Long Neck version of the TUS 35. They have a prototype model now, and expect the long next to ship in a couple of months. The didn't have to let me know, and didn't say anything about keeping this news quiet--and I think it is a good thing.

I had the chance to play my Flight TUS 35 with Ukester Brown's Concert Fluke...and they sounded remarkably similar.

I know I'll buy one as soon as they are available, just as I would if Outdoor would ever make a Concert.

P.S. A long neck soprano of the TUS 35 would be almost the ideal instrument for schools (a concert Outdoor would be better, but would also cost 2x as much).

Cool! I know, I love my Flight Travel. I wish it were going to be a regular concert, but a long neck soprano is something I've wanted to try for a while.

Incidentally, I just heard from Flight (I had contacted them a few months ago) about a Long Neck version of the TUS 35. They have a prototype model now, and expect the long next to ship in a couple of months. The didn't have to let me know, and didn't say anything about keeping this news quiet--and I think it is a good thing.

I had the chance to play my Flight TUS 35 with Ukester Brown's Concert Fluke...and they sounded remarkably similar.

I know I'll buy one as soon as they are available, just as I would if Outdoor would ever make a Concert.

P.S. A long neck soprano of the TUS 35 would be almost the ideal instrument for schools (a concert Outdoor would be better, but would also cost 2x as much).

Incidentally, I just heard from Flight (I had contacted them a few months ago) about a Long Neck version of the TUS 35. They have a prototype model now, and expect the long next to ship in a couple of months.

Oh. Now that *is* interesting. I didn't think I needed another instrument for travel, but...

Great thread!

My all around travel uke--air travel, road trips, etc.--is an Eddy Finn Travel Concert. The thin body allows me to put my music notebook in the hard case under the uke, and the hard case fits in the overhead with my Eddie Bauer backpack in less room than the typical roll-aboard. Love the size and sound (with Fremont Blacklines) that I often break it out for strumming and picking on the couch while watching TV.

That said... I live in FL and often find myself outside in wet or really hot environments. I picked up my Kala Waterman for just these occasions. It survives the car in the sun-baked parking lot (no direct sun), the pool, the odd rain shower, and more. My improvement on sound was swapping the Aquila Super Nylguts for standard Martin Fluorocarbons. I've led poolside sing-a-longs with this one.

I‘m a little bit surprised that nobody mentioned the Romero XS Soprano. Maybe because of the price? But the budget models with the solid spruce top laminate mahogany body weren’t that pricey, after all.

And what a nice Uke to travel with! Smaller than a regular soprano, but with a full soprano fretboard, and 14 frets to the body, above that! PLUS: it works, really well, too, with a low g string. And way better than all other sopranos I tried so far — a few Brükos, Fleas, and Kalas among them.

Obviously, it’s for soprano players only, but I somehow feel that’s the best size for traveling anyway. Depending on how you travel, of course.

As I’ll be going by car to a rented cottage this year (rather than tent camping), I’m considering taking two Ukes this time, probably one high and low g stringed each. Still, this XS Soprano is probably the first choice for the low g Uke.

Last edited:
I really like my worry-free Flight TUS 35. The action and intonation are great and it sounds terrific for a mostly-plastic ukulele.

Would love to check out Flight's concert travel ukuleles, especially their TUC-55 Series with laminate acacia, mango or amara tops without any patterns or engraving.

https://flightmusic.com/product-category/by-series/travel/

Last edited:
I only travel within my country,do not fly anywhere.For those trips, my Makala Dolphin fits the bill.

Depends. Short trips (2 weeks or less) and I’ll probably bring a soprano because I’m probably just going to be practicing a piece I’ve already arranged. Longer than that and there’s a chance I’ll arrange something new and I’m going to bring a tenor with a low G.

Until I get my Blackbird, I mean. Then I’ll just bring that everywhere because I won’t have to worry about humidity or temperature changes.

I only travel within my country,do not fly anywhere.For those trips, my Makala Dolphin fits the bill.

I’m similar and whilst I don’t have a Dolphin anymore they do do a job. Of course there are better sounding Ukes but for some folk just having something that will do an adequate job is what really matters.

The point has been made, and very valid I think it is too, that you should not bother taking a Uke that doesn’t sound good to your ear and doesn’t give you joy to play. Evaluations of both of those criteria are personal to the player.

When I last went on holiday I took a well set-up old Mahalo U30 in my bag, I played it a lot and enjoyed doing so. Mahalo's are a bit variable but I must have got a good one (sounds OK to me and plays better than me). The U30 isn’t fragile, is smaller bodied than my other Sopranos (so easier to pack) and I wouldn’t have got upset if it had got smashed up in my luggage bag (it didn’t travel separately and it would cost very little to replace). Next time I travel I expect to take the U30 again, it met my simple needs.

Last edited:
Mine too. The OXK seems to be immune to temperature and humidity changes.

It's been almost two years since I posted this reply. The OXK has gone to a young family with kids learning to play ukulele and now I've a Flight TUS-35 for traveling.

not a big UAS-er, but I have 2 travellers. One is a used outdoor, for carefree travel when a more rugged ukulele is better- throwing into a carryon or suitcase caseless, camping, etc. The other is a laminate Ohana, kept in the office but also used for road trips and when the destination is more upscale/civil- in-laws house, cabin, etc. I had both a nova and flight thinking one of these might take the place of both, but I didn't like either. I also have a sopranissimo that could be used as a traveller, but it is solid and glossy; it was bought used at a great price more as a novelty and has never gone anywhere.

Last edited:
Like several others have mentioned, I have a Martin 0X which sounds great. I don’t know how durable the HPL is, but at least I don’t have to worry about temperature. I also have a Bruko soprano which feels very durable, also sounds great, and was less expensive than the Martin.

For concerts, I take a Breedlove concert. They’re current/recent offerings are a little overpriced, but if you can find them on sale, I think they make ideal beater/traveler ukes. They sound and feel great. Are slightly overbuilt and so durable, with laminate sides and back. Their models have a little bit of variety on price, but they’re all basically the same thing, with the only differences being onboard electronics, cutaway, and different wood stains. I picked up a new one with no frills on sale for close to $150. I’ll even leave it in the car sometimes if the weather’s not terrible.

I don’t know if anyone else does this, but I have a decent ukulele (a Rebel) that I superficially damaged almost right after I got it. The damage is slight enough that I don’t know if it’s worth repairing. But annoying enough that I basically resigned myself to using it as a nicer traveler without worrying about any dents or scratches it might get. I know some people take their high end ukes camping and to the beach and wherever. But I haven’t felt comfortable doing that myself. The Rebel, however, isn’t super expensive and already had some damage, so that’s my nicer traveler. I don’t know if I would be using it that way if it weren’t for that initial damage.

My flea traveled around the world with me on work trips and now hangs at the beach. My more recent work companion is my 5 string bonanza Oreo - lightweight, tons of sound, and 5 strings are becoming my fav. Looking forward to hitting the road again next month to break her out again!

Last time I flew was over a year ago and I took my Kanile'a. Why take krap on a trip? Carried it on and put in overhead bin for no extra charge on Frontier.

Air Travel: I pack my Risa Tenor Stick in my carry on bag or my checked bag.

Car travel: I take my Fred Shields Backpacker concert; or an Acacia Pono or Cocobolo tenor.

I like the Risa for hotel rooms. It's loud enough for me to hear, but not the people in the adjacent room.

Top Bottom