Enya X1 Guitar - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Something of a momentary diversion today for Got A Ukulele. This comes with no written review because, well... because it's not a ukulele!

Over the last couple of years I have reviewed various models of ukulele from the Enya X1 series - the HPL body instruments. And despite them being a touch quiet, I was always impressed with the build quality, finish and tone. A lot of readers asked me to look at their X1 Guitar - and we managed to get something sorted with Enya.

I have no need to go into specs in detail, because if you have read my X1 ukulele reviews - these are identical - HPL body with the only wood existing in the braces and linings. Richlite bridge and fingerboard. Detatchable neck. Bag of goodies - you know the score - so this is basically the X1 Uke up to guitar scale, with 6 strings (D'Addario EXP strings at that - so not too shabby).

Any much like the ukes, the build is impeccably good. I cannot find a single thing wrong with it in build, finish, or even setup.

Even better news is it doesn't disappoint on tone. Sure, like the ukes it's on the quiet side for a guitar (but not overly so). The tone is not five star Gibson or Martin stuff, but then... here's the thing... It cost £200.

I'm really rather taken with it and it would make a superb

a) first guitar - because it's very playable and not a lot of money
b)kids guitar - ditto the above
c)knockabout / travellers guitar - because that HPL is extremely tough.

Very highly recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TALixGbQWug

Enjoyed that, Baz. Potentially a great, cheaper alternative to the Taylor GS Mini as well for a bedroom guitarist?

Interesting review Baz.

Do you think they have pitched the price right?

For the same price someone could buy an Ibanez, Epiphone, Squire, Stagg or for not much more a Fender.

An Ibanez kit which is similar to the review kit is £99 and for kids this would get my vote purely because it is half the price of the Enya kit.

This guitar is really neat!

Thanks for the nice review Bazmaz :)

Interesting review Baz.

Do you think they have pitched the price right?

For the same price someone could buy an Ibanez, Epiphone, Squire, Stagg or for not much more a Fender.

An Ibanez kit which is similar to the review kit is £99 and for kids this would get my vote purely because it is half the price of the Enya kit.

I've played some brands you mention at the price point and lower - I will say this. The Enya build qualiy beats them all hands down. The tone is really nice too. As I say in the vid - at the cheaper end with guitars there are some gems, but I think they are in the minority - some real howlers. I bought a £150 Fender as a beater. It's scruffy as hell and the setup was appalling. I prefer the sound of the Enya, even though the Fender is louder. The Enya has a much nicer neck too.

Top Bottom