Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mostly Strumming or Fingerpicking

Default Mostly Strumming or Fingerpicking

I am wondering if I am the only one who mostly plays finger picking style and hardly ever strums. I play mostly chord melodies on ukulele and strum some, however, on guitar I hardly ever strum.

No, you're not unique, quite a few on here pick tunes, as against strumming.

I mainly play melody lines, but will sometimes strum a bit, (& even croak out a word or two), when on the Seasons of the Ukulele challenge.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed this in the guitar section, I'm ukes only, as far as strings go.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 07-09-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I do almost exclusively fingerpicking. I just like the sound better. I will strum with a group obviously, but I just don't play in groups often.

I'm a fingerpicking and chord melody guy, also. I do some strumming and something vaguely resembling singing a couple of times a month with my local club, but I'm mostly a solo instrumental player. I wouldn't mind finding another local player or two and put together an all-instrumental ensemble, but everyone I find is happy with strumming first position chords and singing "Pearly Shells".
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

i'm a singer strummer on ukulele only.
    i can do a bit of fingerpicking and chord melodies, but I prefer to sing
    the lyrics of the songs I love (mostly 30's, 40's, 50's tunes).
    I like listening to good fingerpickers especially if they are playing
    old-time melodies I can recognize. I can appreciate the skillful
    sytlings of those who do their own compositions, but I greatly
    prefer listening to tunes I know and love.

keep uke'in',

PS search "a rendition of something like Crazy G" and look for a link
    to the pdf of said 'rendition'. I have a demo on YouTube "Uncle Rod
    Crazy G" This should be under shameless self-promotion... sorry
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Strumming is for ukes. Guitars are for fingerpicking.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I'm a purely an instrumentalist, playing self contained solos mixing melody and chords (strums and arpeggios) and single line soloing over changes. I don't sing at all, so not much need for pure strumming save for backing tracks on multitrack recordings or when I back up a soloist friend. One of the fun things about playing chord-melody solos is you get to add in strums as fills and accents so I do use a lot of strumming, just not in the pure form.

On steel string guitar I do both but more strumming and singing. Rhythm guitar is a "thing" a real thing and that is strumming. I love to learn, play and sing all the old rock and folk classics from the Beatles, Eagle, Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, John Prine, Johnny Cash, John Denver etc, etc. Have I convinced you yet that strumming a steel string is for real and real fun
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Have I convinced you yet that strumming a steel string is for real and real fun
    Yeah but it chews the heck outta my strumming hand fingernails
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I'm from a guitar and 5 string banjo background; mostly guitar. Since the ulnar nerve died in my right elbow, I mostly flat pick now with a pick. Like strings and capos, there are custom picks out there that run 30 bucks or more. After a lot of searching, at the moment, I really like the Charmed life picks.I think it's the brown CLF75. I play lead guitar in a bluegrass band and a couple uke groups. I still fingerpick a bit but really like the fast double pickin' Doc Watson style. Sounds pretty cool on a uke too. After a while, it's not uncommon to do all three styles in one song; adds depth to it.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information