Only One Ukulele?

Mommy uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo
Mommy uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo..... :rolleyes:

This song goes all the way to grand pops and grand moms!
Does this mean we all have to own a family of ukes to play this song?

This song goes all the way to grand pops and grand moms!
Does this mean we all have to own a family of ukes to play this song?

...or
Soprano uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo
Soprano uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo...

then:
Concert uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo
Concert uke doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo...

Tenor... baritone... bass

Solid uke, electric uke, pocket uke, Banjo uke, alto uke, paddle uke, pineapple uke, super soprano uke, super concert uke, super tenor uke.. sopranisimo

This thread is funny.. almost all posts indicate.. no one has just one uke

I suggest it might have to do with the fact that people who are mostly into an occasional strum on their sole Uke may not be active on this forum full of UAS patients!?

But I agree, it’s a fun thread, so far.

I have only one, Ohana solid top mahogany laminate back and sides. Temporarily Strung low g c e and low a (cuatro tuning thanks to a ken Middleton video).

I have a larger steel string ukulele with six single string courses but I don’t count that.

Having only one uke leads to a lot of agonising about finding the perfect tuning. I am always terrified about undoing all the fretting I have learned and does it really sound better? Should I tune so I can easily switch to guitar or easily switch to accompanying by nieces and nephews on their ukuleles? If I had two or three I could experiment and compare but multiple instruments would not be uxorially acceptable.

Still very new to ukulele. I have 2 but to be fair, one is for my kids to play so I can say one. I'd like to get a tenor (maybe put a low G on it), a baritone and I'd be ok with that. One of each size seems reasonable. I don't know if I can justify another ukulele until I am more than a beginner though. I also have a ubass but I don't count that as a ukulele.

*Currently looking at a Lanikai or a Tiki tenor*

I have friends with 1 uke and they are the really occasional and super casual players. Like not even once a month? I recently got another friend hooked on uke and she’s thinking of a second uke already.

This thread is funny.. almost all posts indicate.. no one has just one uke

I have only one, Ohana solid top mahogany laminate back and sides. Temporarily Strung low g c e and low a (cuatro tuning thanks to a ken Middleton video).

I have a larger steel string ukulele with six single string courses but I don’t count that.

Having only one uke leads to a lot of agonising about finding the perfect tuning. I am always terrified about undoing all the fretting I have learned and does it really sound better? Should I tune so I can easily switch to guitar or easily switch to accompanying by nieces and nephews on their ukuleles? If I had two or three I could experiment and compare but multiple instruments would not be uxorially acceptable.
I wanted to be a one ukulele man. Early on I went to a music festival and met a woman who was trying to sell some of her's. I think at the time she had thirty or forty of them. I remember playing around with her bamboo concert and thinking that I had one ukulele and that was all I needed. She tried to sell it to me, even insisted that I take it home, play it, and if I liked it I could send her a check. There was never any talk about returning it. In fact, her parting words were to keep it as long as I wanted. I had it for months, and I even got admonished by some here for "borrowing" it and not giving it back. I did finally did get it back to her. That was my introduction to having more than one, although at the time I considered myself a one ukulele man. I guess I must have convinced myself that because the one belonged to someone else that it didn't count. Maybe that is why I kept it so long, the nobility of claiming one and the fun, or to another way of thinking of it, the convenience of having two. A win all around.

We all go through our mental machinations to justify our ukes, or lack of ukes in some cases. I do both. I've never bought a uke just because I saw it and wanted it. I've always invented a reason that I needed it. I started out with a cheapie and the second was an upgrade. No doubt a shallow reason at the time considering that after five years the cheapie gets more playing time than any. But I've justified to my own satisfaction the purchase of two more beyond that, I've made one, and then there is my wife's ukulele that she doesn't play. It's not mine, it's her's. It doesn't count. The one I made doesn't count either, I didn't purchase it and it sounds terrible. Deep down inside, I'm still a one ukulele man, I'm just a one ukulele man with four ukuleles and two that don't count.

I have friends with 1 uke and they are the really occasional and super casual players. Like not even once a month?
I have a few of those as well. People who can claim one ukulele because they bought one and didn't stick with it long enough even to talk themselves into another.

Last edited:
I strive to be a one uke guy. Then I get another and another. Then I feel guilty and start getting rid of some until at some point I no longer feels guilty. Then I start looking for something new to own again. I realised I will never be a one uke guy. Now I strive to be a 3 ukes guy. I think I should be able to make it this time.

Austin, the mental process you describe sounds very familiar to me, and I suspect it sounds familiar to a lot of our friends on here as well!

I have a few, but I think I could get by with only two. I'd need a re-entrant and a linear uke. At present it'd be my Joe Zee linear and my Cordoba re-entrant, both tenors.

I wanted to be a one ukulele man. Early on I went to a music festival and met a woman who was trying to sell some of her's. I think at the time she had thirty or forty of them. I remember playing around with her bamboo concert and thinking that I had one ukulele and that was all I needed. She tried to sell it to me, even insisted that I take it home, play it, and if I liked it I could send her a check. There was never any talk about returning it. In fact, her parting words were to keep it as long as I wanted.

I have a few of those as well. People who can claim one ukulele because they bought one and didn't stick with it long enough even to talk themselves into another.

That uke sounded possessed as like she was trying her hardest to get rid of it.

I’m still working to infect my occasional uke friends with UAS. But they got other syndrome such as KAS as well, Keyboard Acquisition Syndrome.

Austin, the mental process you describe sounds very familiar to me, and I suspect it sounds familiar to a lot of our friends on here as well!

A pretty hopeless case, in fact. Every time when you think you got it under control, it comes back bigger and way worse.

Top Bottom