Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shima uke

Kisssing, that was very nicely played!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Here’s the only video where Jake answered all the above questions and played some sound samples at the end.
    I think he should do more videos like this to promote the ukulele. I was very interested at one point.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    Here’s the only video where Jake answered all the above questions and played some sound samples at the end.
    I have to admit, I'll still totally confused about whether it's a tenor neck or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I have to admit, I'll still totally confused about whether it's a tenor neck or not.
    This is what I think he meant in the video:
    1. Scale length is concert.
    2. Number of frets is 18, which allows him to do the same chords as his kamaka tenor. Note that a kamaka concert is only 16 frets. I think the confusion is due to his reference of his kamaka tenor when he mentioned the Shima uke has the same range.
    3. Nut width is like a Tenor Uke nut width.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    This is what I think he meant in the video:
    1. Scale length is concert.
    2. Number of frets is 18, which allows him to do the same chords as his kamaka tenor. Note that a kamaka concert is only 16 frets. I think the confusion is due to his reference of his kamaka tenor when he mentioned the Shima uke has the same range.
    3. Nut width is like a Tenor Uke nut width.
    Did he mention scale length = concert? If so, I missed it. (Quite likely true.)

I had emailed Bruce a while back about the Shima uke, but lost those emails with a computer reaching the end of its life span, and only remember that the nut width was 1 1/2". Or at least I think I remember that. LOL.

Ah, well, it sure sounds great when Jake plays it, but then what wouldn't? :-)

I hesitate buying a uke manufactured in China, but times may have changed.
    KoAlana Concert (2012) ~ KoAlana Soprano (2012) ~ KoAloha Tenor KTM-00 (2014) ~ KoAloha Long Neck Concert KCO-02 ~ Rebel​ Soprano Double Creme ~ Pono Soprano MGS ~ Mainland Soprano Classic (2018) ~ Bruko Soprano No. 6 ~ Bruko Soprano No. 1 ~ Martin Soprano OXK ~ Martin Soprano Style 0 (1957-1959) ~Du Barry Soprano (1920's)

Quote Originally Posted by Wet-Skunk View Post
    I hesitate buying a uke manufactured in China, but times may have changed.

Many of them are terrific instruments. If the company specs out a high quality instrument and has good quality control, that is what you get. If you want cheap junk that merely looks like an instrument you can get that too. Looking at the instruments you will see reviewed at Got a Ukulele and other sites, you can see a wide range. I would not be surprised if you have played or even own instruments that have come from China.

In case anyone missed Baz's review:

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/01/...-wideneck.html
    John

Also just saw this offer from Aloha City Ukes of a Shima Jake model uke for the lower VIP price of $229.00, but it must be picked up at their 7/28 Meet & Greet with Jake, at their shop in IL, where he would also sign it for you. Not sure if there is a fee for that Jake event.

Or, buy one for $279.00, also signed by Jake, which they would ship to you.

Screenshot_20190711-160600_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 07-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Also just saw this offer from Aloha City Ukes of a Shima Jake model uke for the lower VIP price of $229.00, but it must be picked up at their 7/28 Meet & Greet with Jake, at their shop in IL, where he would also sign it for you. Not sure if there is a fee for that Jake event.

Or, buy one for $279.00, also signed by Jake, which they would ship to you.

Screenshot_20190711-160600_Chrome.jpg
    Someone please go and ask Jake if the neck is concert or tenor scale. LOL.

For anyone in the area, it sounds like a great opportunity to meet Jake.

Thread Information