Shima uke

Just symantics, but I don't think a neck can be concert or tenor, those names are merely the scale length between nut and saddle. However, a neck could have more frets, like a tenor (this one has 18), and still be concert scale, which this is. Again, soprano size body with concert scale. It's a long neck soprano which was designed with 18 frets and a wide nut, just like many tenors.

I guess something about my wording was off, though I did say concert or tenor scale.

But it sounds like we have our answer, and this is a 15 inch scale neck with more frets than the typical concert scale ukulele, and a wide nut.
That sounds right, from when I asked Bruce about it, but I've lost those emails, so I wasn't sure.

It has been stated in different words... the following is copied from the FAQ of the Shima Ukulele site:

Shima Ukulele consists of a soprano body, a concert-length neck with the thickness and width of Jake’s tenor ukulele. A soprano body with a concert-length neck (aka soprano longneck) has been around for many years. The pronounced width and thickness of the neck is a unique feature of the Shima Ukulele, and is the reason we introduce it as the "JS Soprano Wide-neck". It also has the same amount of frets (18 frets) as a tenor which allows the same arrangements to be played. We proudly present the "JS Soprano Wide-neck w/ Tenor Range".

And other aNueNue ukes. They have great laminated selections too

Just symantics, but I don't think a neck can be concert or tenor, those names are merely the scale length between nut and saddle. However, a neck could have more frets, like a tenor (this one has 18), and still be concert scale, which this is. Again, soprano size body with concert scale. It's a long neck soprano which was designed with 18 frets and a wide nut, just like many tenors.

On that note, there are also occasionally soprano ukes with a soprano neck but with 18 frets and a cutaway.
So indeed, semantics

Just semantics, but I don't think a neck can be concert or tenor, those names are merely the scale length between nut and saddle. However, a neck could have more frets, like a tenor (this one has 18), and still be concert scale, which this is. Again, soprano size body with concert scale. It's a long neck soprano which was designed with 18 frets and a wide nut, just like many tenors.

You might have something there. What the heck is a tenor width, anyway?

Top Bottom