Before I take the plunge....

pinkipod

Reaction score
Can someone please give me any input?

The Kamaka Tenor on Elderly's website: https://www.elderly.com/collections/category_tenor-ukuleles/products/kamaka-hf-3

I have confirmed that other than normal wear from usage, there is no flaw. Apparently, even the area they "touched up" is not noticeable enough to show on the photo.

After extensively listening to various youtube recording, I feel like both the Kamaka Tenor and the KoAloha Tenor sound very beautiful in their own right and I would be happy with either. I also like the sound and look of the Spalted Mango Tiny Tenor!

So If I had ~$900 to spend, should I.....
1) stretch my budget and go for the above Kamaka tenor?
2) wait until someone wants to sell their Koaloha or Kamaka Tenor for a better price on UU?
3) Go for the Tiny Tenor Spalted Mango (under budget)?

I know there is no right answer. Just wanted to see what others thought.

It's a good price for a almost new instrument coming from a dealer (not a private sale). If you know that tenor is the size for you, I'd say go for it. You can always sell it later and get most--if not all--of your investment back. Make sure that it comes with the case (it seems to). Also have a humidifier around for it in the winter.

If you take care of it (which you will), it's a generational instrument for under $1000...and almost no other instrument can claim that low level of investment for a family heirloom.

And to think that Hawaiians used to drag Kamakas around like we would drag a Makala around today (70s-90s)...

Personally, I'm not into super expensive ukes, but, I would buy on tonal qualities.

I know Kamaka are well respected, as are KoAloha, but for me, the KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert is my 'expensive' uke, I don't think paying more would get me anything better in terms of tone, & I really enjoy my Ohana solid mahogany long neck concert almost as much, & it only cost about half as much.

Please understand, this is only my personal opinion, & I know lots would disagree with me, but, to me, it's all about the best tone, not how much they cost. :)

As Choirguy said this is an excellent deal on an excellent instrument from an excellent dealer. You can buy with confidence from Elderly. If you have your heart set on a Kamaka tenor then this is almost a no brainer. I like Kamaka and have also owned Koaloha, both are great but Kamaka has that 100 year plus prestige with the sound and craftmanship to go with it.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I took the plunge!!! I will update on how things go!

Top Bottom