How many surviving Koalana's do we have out there?

Wet-Skunk

Reaction score
I'm curious as to how many survived. Most of the first Koalana's made in Thailand ended up cracking due to climate control issues at the factory. I spoke with a gentleman at the store that sold these a few years back. He said over 90% were returned. Don't confuse these with the Opio line. The Opio line came after they fixed the climate control issues. These were the first attempts in Thailand and they were made out of Sapele. Great sounding instruments. Here are my soprano and concert. I've kept them in a humidified cabinet over the years and have no cracks or issues. Show me pics of your survivors.

x.jpg

g.jpg

v.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Last edited:
Mine survived! However she did have separation anxiety, oops I mean separation issues on the back, and an annoying buzz. So I sent her back to Hawaii for some R&R at KoAloha. Peng (who created Rebel ukes) thought she still deserved a second chance and fixed her up. At first he offered me an Acacia Opio as a replacement but I have sentimental attachment to my KoAlana and I prefer mahogany. No cracks and I am still fond of this Uke. It is strung low g so does not command my attention as much as the high g's. She's camera shy at the moment but here's an old group photo when a friend came over for a playdate with his sapele Opio before they switched to acacia. My Blue Frog is sitting next to KoAlana. The flea and the fluke in the photo belong to the opio with the amber buttons.
visiting ukes concert.jpg

There must have been at least two different versions of ukes produced under the KoAlana name. The ones in the photos above look like decent instruments.

My experience of the brand was back in (I think) 2007. There was an on line ukulele supplier in London, England, with which I had some dealings. I was looking for a source of ready made necks for making cigar box ukes, and I asked this Ukulele Shop (now no longer trading) if they had any broken or unsaleable ukes. They supplied me with a couple of broken Ohanas, and then one day, a large carton arrived containing five KoAlanas - three sopranos and two concerts.

These sapele KoAlanas were not suffering from shrinkage or cracking, but the frets were so uneven (correctly placed, but not flat and level) that the ukes were completely unplayable. They were the most badly made ukuleles I have ever seen. Everywhere you looked there was evidence of sloppy workmanship, and the (glossy) finish was splattered with imperfections, runs and inclusions. The fret board had not been masked off before spraying, and the varnish (or whatever it was) had been applied thickly over the frets.

I was shocked that a premium company like KoAloha would allow their name to be associated with such an inferior product. The following may or may not be accurate, but I was told that KoAlanas originated as a cheap "pirate" product in China, seeking to imitate the KoAloha brand. It was said that KoAloha had them shut down, but some of these instruments (if they could be called that) made it onto the market.

The proprietors of The Ukulele Shop told me that they had returned all the KoAlana stock that they had received, with the exception of a few that had been sold and not returned. My five KoAlanas had been returned to the store for refund, after the main consignment had been sent back.

I like a challenge, so I set about trying to make one of the sopranos playable. I scraped the flaking varnish off all the frets, re-seated most of the frets in the slots with superglue, then levelled them off, adjusted the nut, rubbed down the finish with cutting paste and replaced the rubbish strings. It took me at least three hours, but I was astonished by the result. Not only was this thing playable, but it sounded very good indeed. If you looked at it from four feet away, it actually looked quite decent, too! I liked it so much that I kept it for about ten years, before finally letting it go to a friend.

I also fettled the other four KoAlanas, and sold them off for a nominal sum to members of a ukulele club. All three sopranos sounded really good. The two concerts were not as good, but were tolerable.

The "second wave" of KoAlanas (as pictured above) have some distinguishing features. The fret board markers seem to be contrasting wooden discs (not white plastic) and the bridge has the name etched into it. They seem to have been produced from a completely different source.

After I disposed of my KoAlana, I missed it so much that I bought a lovely second-hand KoAloha soprano, which is now my favourite ukulele, bar none.

John Colterkoalana-ukulele.jpg

There must have been at least two different versions of ukes produced under the KoAlana name. The ones in the photos above look like decent instruments.

My experience of the brand was back in (I think) 2007. There was an on line ukulele supplier in London, England, with which I had some dealings. I was looking for a source of ready made necks for making cigar box ukes, and I asked this Ukulele Shop (now no longer trading) if they had any broken or unsaleable ukes. They supplied me with a couple of broken Ohanas, and then one day, a large carton arrived containing five KoAlanas - three sopranos and two concerts.

These sapele KoAlanas were not suffering from shrinkage or cracking, but the frets were so uneven (correctly placed, but not flat and level) that the ukes were completely unplayable. They were the most badly made ukuleles I have ever seen. Everywhere you looked there was evidence of sloppy workmanship, and the (glossy) finish was splattered with imperfections, runs and inclusions. The fret board had not been masked off before spraying, and the varnish (or whatever it was) had been applied thickly over the frets.

I was shocked that a premium company like KoAloha would allow their name to be associated with such an inferior product. The following may or may not be accurate, but I was told that KoAlanas originated as a cheap "pirate" product in China, seeking to imitate the KoAloha brand. It was said that KoAloha had them shut down, but some of these instruments (if they could be called that) made it onto the market.

The proprietors of The Ukulele Shop told me that they had returned all the KoAlana stock that they had received, with the exception of a few that had been sold and not returned. My five KoAlanas had been returned to the store for refund, after the main consignment had been sent back.

I like a challenge, so I set about trying to make one of the sopranos playable. I scraped the flaking varnish off all the frets, re-seated most of the frets in the slots with superglue, then levelled them off, adjusted the nut, rubbed down the finish with cutting paste and replaced the rubbish strings. It took me at least three hours, but I was astonished by the result. Not only was this thing playable, but it sounded very good indeed. If you looked at it from four feet away, it actually looked quite decent, too! I liked it so much that I kept it for about ten years, before finally letting it go to a friend.

I also fettled the other four KoAlanas, and sold them off for a nominal sum to members of a ukulele club. All three sopranos sounded really good. The two concerts were not as good, but were tolerable.

The "second wave" of KoAlanas (as pictured above) have some distinguishing features. The fret board markers seem to be contrasting wooden discs (not white plastic) and the bridge has the name etched into it. They seem to have been produced from a completely different source.

After I disposed of my KoAlana, I missed it so much that I bought a lovely second-hand KoAloha soprano, which is now my favourite ukulele, bar none.

John ColterView attachment 119767

Ah yes, the Chinese made Koalana's. I'm not too familiar with the story, so my version could be incorrect. I heard that that the Koalana's produced in the Chinese factory was a first attempt by Koaloha to get an affordable uke out to the market. They went with a factory that already made ukes for the market. Regretfully, they were poorly made, and didn't own up to the quality Koaloha was looking for. Thus, on their second go at the Koalana they went the Thai route and trained and set them up properly to make instruments of quality.

I bought a mahogany Soprano KoAlana—one of the Chinese models—here on UU, and it is great addition to my collection and something special. The biggest issue are some splotches in the finish..something I appreciate. The ukulele isn’t up to KoAloha’s typical build standards, but it is a solid mahogany ukulele and it is fun to have. I plan to upgrade it to UPTs someday. I’m just not in a rush to do so, and would rather swap out my Opios first.

The KoAloha site still has them as a series, but I haven't seen any offered at the obvious spots. Sorry don't remember if they had one in the showroom when I was there last fall.

The KoAloha site still has them as a series, but I haven't seen any offered at the obvious spots. Sorry don't remember if they had one in the showroom when I was there last fall.

KoAlana was moved to Thailand for construction, and then became the Opio...and then returned to a laminate ukulele...and then disappeared...and then was supposed to be back in 2017, but there was a factory fire that took all of the inventory.

I e-mailed KoAloha the other day about availability of KoAlana...and have not heard back yet.

Here is a link to the original sales pitch for the Thai made Koalana's, Hawaii Music Supply was the sole distributor: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLeb-O478nk

This video caused me to do a search to see if there were any existing videos from the days of the Chinese KoAlanas. I did not find anything...but there is a Chinese KoAlana Soprano, just like mine (not mine) that has been on Reverb for a year. https://reverb.com/item/10461710-koalana-soprano-koa

One of the unique features of these instruments, other than yellowing splotches of finish, was the gloss fretboard.

I think the Chinese instruments may be a bit of a ukulele unicorn.

Thanks for the link. I’ve heard of, but never actually seen pictures of one of these.

My KoAlana concert is my gateway uke. I liked it so much it led to a couple of KoAlohas. I still have it; wouldn't sell or trade it. It's a nice balanced uke, which after a Luna Tattoo and a Lanikai pineapple lifted my love for ukulele waay higher. I've never had cracking or separation issues in the 6 or 7 years I've had it. It's always cased and I check my humidifiers weekly. It has made it through Kansas City 12% humidity winters and Phoenix 15% humidity summers. Not a fan of the friction tuners, but they are part of the instrument's charm so I stick with them.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the original sales pitch for the Thai made Koalana's, Hawaii Music Supply was the sole distributor: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLeb-O478nk

I still have my Koalana soprano, purchased in December of 2012. Absolutely no problems at all, it still looks as good as the day I received it. The label clearly shows it was a Thai made Koalana. It sounds even better nw than when I purchased it.

Top Bottom