Anybody here get the Barron River baritone on HMS?

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anybody here buy the Barron River Australian Blackwood baritone that was on HMS yesterday? Asking because I hate you. Kidding about the hating.

But I had that baritone in my cart and decided to wait till after Pilates to complete the checkout. Big mistake, what was I thinking? I have store credit at HMS, so I’ve been looking to spend it. I’ve waited patiently for 2 years for the right uke to appear on the website. Never have I heard or seen such a thing of beauty as that baritone. If the new owner doesn’t return it after the trial period (I hear he’s a collector), I guess I will have see if I can order one just like it from Barron River directly. I’ve been cranky since yesterday morning over this.

You might contact HMS directly too. They might be able to order for you (so you can use the credit) or reserve it if another is on the way.

After thinking about my hesitation, I realize deep down I thought I was not worthy of the Barron River. Hope it doesn’t just sit in a collector’s room in its case or a display case.

After thinking about my hesitation, I realize deep down I thought I was not worthy of the Barron River. Hope it doesn’t just sit in a collector’s room in its case or a display case.

You’re definitely worth it! Life is too short to drink wine you don’t like or play ukes that don’t inspire you.

Hoping the universe works out for you; Barron River is high on my “to hold” list. :shaka:

You're worthy of it if it will get played by you, and you'll enjoy playing it. That's what it is for.

If we have to play like Jake, (or whoever you admire), before having a higher end ukulele, probably very few of us here would have more than a $50 ukulele. But that doesn't mean that we're not all happy strumming and fingerpicking to the best of our abilities, and hopefully inspired by our ukuleles to continue to improve.

You might contact HMS directly too. They might be able to order for you (so you can use the credit) or reserve it if another is on the way.

I did contact HMS almost immediately after I realized it was gone. But luthiers don’t take orders via HMS. That’s what they told me. And that a collector snapped it up — no name given, of course. So I can’t stalk him/her.

Last edited:
I did contact HMS almost immediately after I realized it was gone. But luthiers don’t take orders via HMS. That’s what they told me. And that a collector brought snapped it up — no name given, of course. So I can’t stalk him/her.

I’m nearly positive that the batch they got was from the “for sale” section on Barron River’s website. I remember seeing a baritone and that Billy Pine Soprano when I last looked a couple months ago.

Most custom luthiers they work with seem to be either specially given to sell through their site (Moore Bettah auction, or the “design your own Kinnard”, for example), others for the exposure (I think TyDe would fit in here), and others that are cancelled or unsold custom orders that the luthier needs to move (like the Barron Rivers, I believe).

You're worthy of it if it will get played by you, and you'll enjoy playing it. That's what it is for.

If we have to play like Jake, (or whoever you admire), before having a higher end ukulele, probably very few of us here would have more than a $50 ukulele. But that doesn't mean that we're not all happy strumming and fingerpicking to the best of our abilities, and hopefully inspired by our ukuleles to continue to improve.

Very well said

I did contact HMS almost immediately after I realized it was gone. But luthiers don’t take orders via HMS. That’s what they told me. And that a collector brought snapped it up — no name given, of course. So I can’t stalk him/her.

Although it won't help with HMS credit you could order directly from Barron Rivers directly. And ask for a duplicate build. And remember that AUD may have a good exchange rate for you. Good Luck

Last edited:
If using your credit is important, and if you know people who might be purchasing from HMS, perhaps they could use your credit and venmo you the money, which you can then use to commission a Barron River directly.

Thanks all, for the support and suggestions. Since, I need a crown and possible root canal, I figure I’ll treat myself to a Barron River after dental treatment. That way while the drill is spinning I can dream about my beautiful reward. And also, I’ll have incentive not to postpone fixing my tooth.

Obviously the store credit is a factor in this case.
However, if you want your own Barron River uke, the best starting point is to follow what Allen has put on his website: "I am always working on new instruments, and you can keep current by following me on FaceBook, or just contact me about what might be coming available."
I was going to suggest taking a trip to Cairns to pick it up but when I looked at the airfares and I know how much accomodation costs, its expensive to do a trip from New York to Cairns, so maybe thats not the best idea. Cairns is certainly a great place to visit, and you have Port Douglas and Cooktown and Atherton and at least 10 tropical beaches all within range, but you can buy a few nice ukes with the cost. If you can afford it, check out the tourist park at South Mission Beach, or one of the tourist parks between Cairns and Port Douglas using Google Maps Street View as a nice place to stay for a few days. Or check out the cost of hiring a camper van thing for a fortnight.

I recognized Allen by his inlay post on UU. I’ll definitely check his site more frequently.

I’ve never considered a trip down under. Perhaps.

Thanks all, for the support and suggestions. Since, I need a crown and possible root canal, I figure I’ll treat myself to a Barron River after dental treatment. That way while the drill is spinning I can dream about my beautiful reward. And also, I’ll have incentive not to postpone fixing my tooth.

You have my sympathy. I just went through the dentist fussing with trying to fix a tooth, then got sent for a root canal, and then in the end, they pulled the tooth. Then I had a really, really bad reaction to the antibiotic. And, I'm blaming the oral surgeon for giving me a cold, too, (why not? LOL), since he didn't wash his hands in the room before sticking his fingers in my mouth for the recheck.

But, I'm sure that things will go much more smoothly for you. And you'll have earned the Barron River ukulele by going through all the dental work. (Hmmm, does that mean I can go buy myself something now? LOL.)

1. I find it mind boggling that any body thinks that they are not worthy of a fine instrument. Of course you are, don’t forget that.

2. I have commissioned 2 Uke from Allen McFarlen ( Barron River). Take my word for it that it would be hard to get a finer instrument for the cost. Mine have exceeded expectations in every way.

1. I find it mind boggling that any body thinks that they are not worthy of a fine instrument. Of course you are, don’t forget that.

2. I have commissioned 2 Uke from Allen McFarlen ( Barron River). Take my word for it that it would be hard to get a finer instrument for the cost. Mine have exceeded expectations in every way.

I agree. If I am worthy of my Barron River, everyone is.

The video clip was a real treat (Googled the bari). Of course, Corey's playing is astonishing too.

Does anyone know if there is a name for that large lower bout/slender waist/square shoulder shape that Allen uses?
It's different, and I like it!

Top Bottom