FS: ‘70s-era Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano

YogiTom

Reaction score
FS: ‘60s-era Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano

EDIT: Should be '60s era, not '70s in the title.

Continuing to slim down my collection, I’m parting ways with this little gem.

These were produced for the Japanese market from 1963-1970, and was aimed at curbing the wave of counterfit Kamaka ukes that were popping up over there during the 1960s. Mahogany body, headstock decal still intact, original tuners upgraded to UPTs by a previous owner (originals come with it).

Just looking to recoup my investment, so asking what I paid for it: $150+shipping. PayPal only, I pay seller fees.
Since I’m not 100% certain what the bridge and fretboard wood is (looks like rosewood to me), US inquiries only, please.

(I’ll post some photos later today after I get home from work, just want to get it posted first)

While this little uke sounds amazing (check out my NUD), it has had some TLC put into it. Specifically, there are a few things that have been repaired or may need repairing if desired:

- there is a major ding in the backside edge of the upper bout on the treble-side (facing the ground for righties), which is cosmetics only, as it never cracked the body

- there is a large repaired and stable crack along the upper bass/player-side (for righties) bout along the side.

- there may be another small repaired crack by the treble-side of the bridge, but it may also be a finish scratch or a grain crack. Hard to photograph but worth a mention.

- there are two repaired and shellacked cracks on the back, one near the heel joint, the second toward the middle of the lower bout. Both are a few inches in length, but have been stable since I’ve owned it.

- the neck appears to be slightly twisted, though that may be an optical illusion. The fretboard extension onto the top seems to be thicker on the treble side (under 1st string) than on the bass side (under 4th string). Intonation and such feel unaffected so I suspect it only looks twisted from not being totally level down there. From fret 11 and up, I don’t see the issue.​

Overall, it could use a professional setup, likely with a new saddle and re-cut nut (the 1st string slot is cut very low), but is otherwise an awesome little ‘hog soprano from an interesting era for Kamaka Ukuleles.

You can either ask additional questions here, PM me, or email me at tom.uker at gmail.com

Last edited:
These are awesome ukes!! I have one and the sound is amazing, repaired cracks and all.

Bill

Agreed!

Other musing while I’m stuck at work:

-I was also pleasantly surprised that the UPTs aren’t noticeably heavy.
-Currently strung with Aquila Lava strings, which really bring out the mids in a warm way to my ear.

Nice deal, especially with the UPTs, sounds good too. Hey, that dark wood on the lower bout edge, maybe it's a custom armrest? They were way ahead of their time! ha ha :)

Lol, forgot to mention that here! Yeah, who knows. It was either a very clean repair with random slice of mahogany or a custom add on in the factory from someone cutting after measuring only once. My money is on the latter. These were “entry level” ukuleles after all. :)

And good point; the UPTs alone are something like $60 new.

Someone should buy this quick (before I do! ) and use it as their travel uke.
I really like not having to mess with friction tuners when others can hear me (LOL).
Talk about a no risk proposition. I love that you just want to put it into the hands of a player!

Top Bottom