Best Way to Remove Wax from a Vintage Harmony Baritone?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a beautiful 1950s Harmony Baritone ukulele. It's in fantastic condition but, at some point, a heavy wax coating was applied to the finish (body and neck). It looks good but it's got an annoying sticky feeling. What's the best way to clean this baby up and get it in playing condition? I've read that lighter fluid (Naptha) is a good solvent, but I'm a bit nervous about damaging the finish.

Suggestions?

Naptha (Ronsonoil lighter fluid) normally does not attack finishes but YMMV so... try a little bit first on the back of the neck.

Naptha (Ronsonoil lighter fluid) normally does not attack finishes but YMMV so... try a little bit first on the back of the neck.

Yep, I did a little more research and it seems that lighter fluid is safe, even for vintage finishes. I'm just back from Walmart where I picked up a can of lighter fluid and a tube of cotton makeup-removal pads (who would have thought to look in the sporting goods dept. for lighter fluid? ��). Ten minutes later, the sticky old wax is gone, the uke is clean, fretboard and bridge oiled, and ready for new strings. Now, just to wait for them to show up in the mailbox!

I got a stupid question.. how do you use it? Do you rub it in, I assume you don’t light it up right?

I wet a bit of clean white cotton rag with naptha and then gently rub the dirty/waxy bits. It cuts through grime/wax/grunge/gummy schmutz/sticker adhesive residue really well

Thanks Swamp! I was advised previously on using white spirit but it didn’t dig out much. But then again it wasn’t any normal wax.

Thanks Swamp! I was advised previously on using white spirit but it didn’t dig out much. But then again it wasn’t any normal wax.

In my research, I came across advice to never use household-type furniture polish (Pledge, etc.) on musical instruments because it contains silicone which penetrates through the finish into the wood and becomes next-to-impossible to remove, short of entirely sanding off the finish. Possibly some misguided soul decided that your lovely ukulele was a piece of living room furniture?

Like a dummy, I once waxed a uke that had an open pore finish. It had little tiny white streaks in the surface. A friend of mine liked the look so much, she bought it from me!
I wonder if Goo-Gone would work?

Like a dummy, I once waxed a uke that had an open pore finish. It had little tiny white streaks in the surface. A friend of mine liked the look so much, she bought it from me!
I wonder if Goo-Gone would work?

I briefly considered GooGone, but I don't like that it's oil-based and seems to leave an oily residue. The lighter fluid (naptha) worked great. Cheap, quick, easy, and leaves no trace when it dries (which only takes seconds).

I briefly considered GooGone, but I don't like that it's oil-based and seems to leave an oily residue. The lighter fluid (naptha) worked great. Cheap, quick, easy, and leaves no trace when it dries (which only takes seconds).

Good to know. Glad it worked so well for you.

In my research, I came across advice to never use household-type furniture polish (Pledge, etc.) on musical instruments because it contains silicone which penetrates through the finish into the wood and becomes next-to-impossible to remove, short of entirely sanding off the finish. Possibly some misguided soul decided that your lovely ukulele was a piece of living room furniture?

Oh.. I think it was a legit advice as many concur that white spirit is to be used. It does not contain silicon. Just that I did stupid stuff by applying wax into open pore polish. Haha.

Top Bottom