Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions For Learning The Fretboard

I'm mostly sticking to cowboy low position chords. I know mostly only 1st string these days and have forgotten pretty much the rest.

But I'm feeling pretty good in soloing with CEA strings up and down the neck using my ear.

Here are a few exercise that have helped me. I got most of these from live instruction. They're not unique and I've seen the same or similar in several books and videos:

• Saying the notes as you play them helps greatly in memorizing the fretboard.
    • Cover the fretboard by playing scales starting on string 4 and walking through the circle of fourths (C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-B-E-A-D-G-C). This jumps around more than a straight chromatic walk and so builds more random-access memory.
    • For chords rather than individual notes, walk the same chord down the fretboard starting with the open shape and then the nearest barre shape. Pay attention to where on each shape the root is.
    • The reverse: pick a barre shape and play it through the circle of fourths.

I usually try to do at least one of these each practice session.

So this obviously requires crossing strings, right? The other issue is a more technique-oriented one in establishing the best shifting of positions on the neck when playing scales and intervals.

Thread Information