Pineapple Sundays from the team in Thailand?!

Just to make it easier to see Mim's ukes, here they are.

Pineapple Sunday Mim.png

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I'm not sure where this recent pyrography craze came from but good lord it looks 'orrible :(

I do like that these are available but I have too many other projects going right now to consider it.

The ebony side stripe seems like an odd design choice. :confused:

I think as a design element they wanted to tie in with the Ebony saddle and fretboard.

I do like that these are available but I have too many other projects going right now to consider it.

The ebony side stripe seems like an odd design choice. :confused:

It looks as though the bottom is a single piece to the side graft stripes. I think the stripes are to hide the seams.

I can't see how the upper bouts are made.

Hawaii Music Supply had three of the Thailand made Pineapple Sundays as of this morning, now down to one left. They were going for $100 off the eventual normal price, so only $899. Just go to their site and search "Sunday".

A sub-$1000 Pineapple Sunday seems like an incredible deal! If I hadn't just gotten my Pop's made one, I would have been all over this. Strike while you can!

It looks as though the bottom is a single piece to the side graft stripes. I think the stripes are to hide the seams.

I can't see how the upper bouts are made.

If they are made like the Pop's version, looking inside, the sides are a single piece, bent into a sort of tear-drop shape. The spiky bits that make up the "top" of the pineapple shape are attached to the outside of that teardrop shape. The solid strip is where that is attached to the side of the body.

Hawaii Music Supply had three of the Thailand made Pineapple Sundays as of this morning, now down to one left.

And that one is now gone too.

I hope that everyone who got one loves it. If you are one of the folks who got the Thailand version, please let us know your thoughts once it arrives.

And if you happen to be someone lucky enough to have both a Pop's made and a Thai made one, please compare and contrast! (Although the different variations of the Pop's models over the years will make this comparison somewhat difficult, I assume...)

Mim now has these in stock, both the tenor and concert scale versions. A few have quite striking acacia.

There are some left in stock at Uke Republic as well.

Here's a photo from the Uke Republic site. It mentions they are stock photos. The wood grain will vary.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.36.02 PM.jpg

Says: Solid Acacia top/back. Solid, nee-piece, no seam Acacia sides. Ebony stripe sides. Mahogany neck. Wood inlay logo on headstock. Maple wood pineapple "eyes" inlay on ebony fretboard. Ebony bridge with maple stripe. Semi gloss finish.
Gig bag with emboidered Pinapple Sunday logo.

Concert & tenors are available.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread, but looks like these guys are on sale at Mims. Definitely beautiful instruments.

Bumping an old thread, but looks like these guys are on sale at Mims. Definitely beautiful instruments.

Thanks for bumping it back. I can't quite understand how Mim still has all of the initial 12 she got in. I think a couple sold on HMS, but they were priced slightly lower so that might explain it?

Are people simply not interested in the Thailand built ones? I absolutely adore my Opio from them, and if I didn't already have a Pop's made Pineapple Sunday I would have immediately jumped on one of these. Heck, I am *still* considering it, as I prefer a concert scale. (But I doubt I can convince the wife that I need *another* Pineapple Sunday...)

Yeah it's tough to tell. I do know that someone pulled the trigger on one of the Pops made Sundays (had the burned in Koaloha logos).

Maybe these prices will help move them. It seems like Opios and Rebels sell well - I guess the jury could still be out on these Sundays?

And that one is now gone too.

I hope that everyone who got one loves it. If you are one of the folks who got the Thailand version, please let us know your thoughts once it arrives.

And if you happen to be someone lucky enough to have both a Pop's made and a Thai made one, please compare and contrast! (Although the different variations of the Pop's models over the years will make this comparison somewhat difficult, I assume...)

I own two Pop's made Pineapple Sundays:

1. Koa back and sides, Engleman Spruce top. -- this ukulele is lovely but it was a bit too bright for me so I put on a low-G and like it very much. It is absolutely a lovely ukulele, easy to play with great projection and clarity. Pops made this one for me.
2. I have an all Koa Pineapple Sunday that Pops made as a prototype. It is the same as the blemished ones that Mim was selling, only unblemished according to Pops. I find this one to be perfect as is. The sound is loud and it chimes, however, with a fullness that the koa provides. It is very easy to play and the ebony fretboard is fast. The hardness of the ebony adds to the improved sound quality over the one above with Rosewood fretboard.

Last week I was at the KoAloha factory and I had a chance to play the Pineapple Sunday that Pops keeps for himself. It was so easy to play, so smooth, the action was great. It has pineapple pyrography on it that looks a bit weird in video and pictures, but I can tell you that in person, it is absolutely stunning.

I also had a chance to play the Thailand Pineapple Sunday.

There is a difference between them. The first major difference is Koa vs Acacia, and then the look of the headstock. As for the sound, yes there is a difference as there is between Opio and KoAloha, however, relatively speaking, the new Thailand UkeSA Pineapple Sunday is worth the price, and at $900 less than the KoAloha model, it is a bargain. Pop checks each one when it comes in. I am not sure that in a blind testing I could tell the difference. The big difference is that one is handmade by Pops and the other is made in Thailand for Pops using his design and receiving his approval. One is Koa and the other acacia. The difference in price is really based on these facts and not so much quality of tone.

IMG_2671.jpg16473853_10209858849482487_7126882321062932081_n.jpgIMG_4791.jpg48560279716_73725101a1_z.jpg

Last edited:
Fortunately, I don't like the new, light-colored Pineapples, so I'm not tempted. I'll stick with my "old fashioned " Pineapple Sunday. I wonder if the Scepter will start non-USA production.

Fortunately, I don't like the new, light-colored Pineapples, so I'm not tempted. I'll stick with my "old fashioned " Pineapple Sunday. I wonder if the Scepter will start non-USA production.

That'd be interesting if they did. I think a spruce top version could be pretty neat.

I wonder if the second hand market plays into it though. Theres two Scepters on Reverb right now at $1200OBO so if the new Thailand ones were priced like their Sundays I could see people holding out for the "real thing."

Top Bottom