JBH...and the 'wrong'string mystery! A tale of (S)SLNG and Aquila

JBH

Reaction score
Pleased to join the uke forum.

I usually play on one of 3 Kala ''long neck'' sops. Though why the more expensive model seems tougher to play still remains a puzzle after a huge amount of action refinement, neck measuring, strings changes etc

THEN..............'the wrong string' saga.

The mystery 'wrong' strings: One of my cheaper Kala (SSL) models came strung with what appears to be an unusual set; they are lighter/thinner/more flexible yet absolutely in keeping with the look and feel of 'Super Nylgut' Aquila's which the label stated were factory fitted.

I've since purchased similar in soprano and concert/super +non-super etc...yet none are the same 'light' gauge?

Initially I disliked this 'lighter/flexible' string however I have since found my playing ability (speedy noodling/touch and fretting accuracy) is improved on the cheaper, odd-string SSL model which I would guess no one other than myself would prefer...at least initially.

There is a trade-off in volume, though of little consequence as all 3 models are currently bug-fitted; if I want more volume, I plug in.

These lighter strings are not going to last forever...and are starting to look difficult to replace; I would like to re-string but where did they come from, did the factory get a batch of lighter/experimental strings without knowing it? In my case, they turn a relatively competent player into something much more musical/expressive and with less fatigue...very useful when learning new material as well recording.

Your comments/thoughts would be appreciated...perhaps you have had a similar experience or know of truly 'light, bright, smooth' string alternative packs available?

Last edited:
They were probably changed for someone who didn't buy it in the end, so they stayed on.

Likely they are fluorocarbon strings - my favourites are Living Water concert low G, I have them on most of my ukes, (tenor scale ukes too).

Try some Martin M600s

...never thought of that...perhaps it was a “return” and sold on as new? If so, it just goes to prove ‘one man’s meat’ is another (wo)man’s poison. In the words of Bob Taylor...the instrument should choose the player; in this case, so have the strings! I will try these Living Water strings if I can find a supplier.

Possibly D tuning Aquila’s? ...now that is an interesting suggestion...and they are very white! I’ve been looking at this from an entirely different angle; there are possibilities I hadn’t considered. Thanks!

If I can find a supplier, I will try these Martin M600’s. I live in a country rather lacking in uke supplies...but now I have a name to go on I will look on line. Thanks!

...this I’m going to try...it makes sense to me that they would most likely be from the same brand....whether fitted in the factory or changed (very professionally) in the outlet/by the first (dissatisfied) owner...I am going to look for the ‘D’ tuning (33U) variety. Thanks.

...this ‘red’ set sounds interesting. From Aquila’s to Worth’s there seem to be many avenues to try. Thanks.

JBH, I get all of my ukulele strings from Strings By Mail. They seem to have the best prices, and always ship quickly.

Top Bottom