Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenor acoustic-electric recommendations.

You'll have to fight Godin on that terminology. They call the multiuke an "electro-acoustic".

As far as I can tell, if you ask five people to define electric vs. electric-acoustic you'll get six different answers. I'll go with "electric" for magnetic pickups and "electric-acoustic" for piezos or mini-microphones. And an ice cream. I think I'll go get an ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    You'll have to fight Godin on that terminology. They call the multiuke an "electro-acoustic".

As far as I can tell, if you ask five people to define electric vs. electric-acoustic you'll get six different answers. I'll go with "electric" for magnetic pickups and "electric-acoustic" for piezos or mini-microphones. And an ice cream. I think I'll go get an ice cream.
    Although where does that leave solid body ukes with piezo pickups, like the Magic Fluke SB. They make no acoustic sound whatsoever, purely electric. They can't be electric acoustics. I think the better way to classify is that electrics come in two main varieties - mag pickups and piezo.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Thanx to all for your input and helpful information. I think I am leaning towards the Godin....I have always loved their instruments....additionally, and please don’t laugh at this...but they are Canadian and I feel that when price and quality compare I should buy Canadian.....that an direct access to service and support.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Although where does that leave solid body ukes with piezo pickups
    Call it a "solid body uke with a piezo" if the details important (in a review or asking for recommendations). Or call it "acoustic/electric" or "electric". Either is correct from a certain point of view. Just no point in telling others their point of view is wrong.

I have a solid-body guitar with a piezo pickup. It's marketed as an acoustic/electric, and plugged in it sounds more acoustic than electric.

Ask four people and you'll get five different definitions.

--Rob

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." --Through the Looking Glass

Last edited by Arcy; 07-19-2019 at 05:23 PM.

An acoustic uke with a fitted pickup is an electro acoustic, a uke with a solid body is a solid body, & a uke with a solid wood body has a nice tone.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Not saying the point of view is 'wrong' -Just saying it's why think forcing naming conventions can't ever work. How can you have a naming system that calls a non acoustic solid body 'acoustic' when it isn't?

You get electrics. The electrics are either acoustic or solid. Whether acoustic or solid you can get them with steel (mag pickups) or nylon / fluoro (piezo pickups). I'm not convinced the naming convention needs any further categories.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Just to come around to the "acoustic" point of this again. If you plan to play this a lot when unplugged you will not be overly impressed. It is on the quiet side with next to no projection, resonance or sustain. If you plan to play mostly plugged in this is a wonderful instrument. If you want to do both equally then go buy an acoustic hollow bodied ukulele and have a pick up installed.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

When I bought my used Godin, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how loud it is after reading so much about it being quiet and specifically for an amp.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thread Information