Squeaky Leather Straps?

MopMan

Concerned Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score
Recently I have been using a particular ukulele strap with leather ends, and it makes a squeaking sound while I am playing as the leather makes friction with the wood of my ukulele. The sound is amplified by the instrument's resonant chamber and I find it sufficiently distracting that I decided to post this.

The noise, which sounds to me like thousands of tiny, rapid groans, seems to be generated with every move I make as I play. I am not certain if the friction that produces the offending sound originates in the ukulele body or in the strap buttons. Both are made of ebony wood. Those are the only places the strap contacts the uke.

The strap is of seemingly well renowned make and in all other regards appears to be a very well made, high quality strap.

Have you ever used an instrument strap with leather ends that fit over the strap buttons? Was it squeaky? If so, how did you remedy the situation?

All my leather straps squeaked when new. Doesn't matter on an amped up guitar but can be bothersome for acoustic playing and especially recording. With that said, I'm squeak free if I hold perfectly still and, as the leather wears in, the squeak fades to pianissimo. I suppose you could place a felt washer between leather and instrument or switch to leather free fabrics. Also, the softer glove leathers squeak less when new than the harder more firm leathers.

I too have had this problem with some straps. And it is irritating. However, your message just made me realize that I've not been aware of any squeaking lately. So, yes, it would seem that the sound has dissipated over time. Hope this turns out to be the case with yours as well.
Jan D

I have had this happen with both leather and man-made faux leather strap ends. I think it's the interaction between the end piece and the gloss finish of the uke. It happens more with some leathers and vinyl ends. It usually goes away after a bit as it gets a little scuffed. But yes, it is very annoying.

Recently I have been using a particular ukulele strap with leather ends, and it makes a squeaking sound while I am playing as the leather makes friction with the wood of my ukulele. The sound is amplified by the instrument's resonant chamber and I find it sufficiently distracting that I decided to post this.

The noise, which sounds to me like thousands of tiny, rapid groans, seems to be generated with every move I make as I play.

What you’re hearing are the groans of the ghosts of thousands of departed ukulele players from decades long past. They are wailing because you are using a strap for a ukulele.... which, to them, borders on blasphemy. The groaning will eventually cease as these ghosts tire and move on to the next living uke player that decides to buck tradition by using a strap.

I had this problem with a leather strap and wood button. I never figured out a fix. I don’t have that problem on a different leather strap and metal button uke.

I never tried out wax or oil on the strap. I would be interested in knowing if it works as I like some of the fancier strap buttons rather than just plain metal ones

My first strap was vinyl so I instantly cut two small squares out of microfiber and a small hole in the center. Just like mentioned earlier in the (felt washer) thread. Have them on all my nice Ukes.

What you’re hearing are the groans of the ghosts of thousands of departed ukulele players from decades long past. They are wailing because you are using a strap for a ukulele.... which, to them, borders on blasphemy. The groaning will eventually cease as these ghosts tire and move on to the next living uke player that decides to buck tradition by using a strap.

Maybe I can get them to harmonize and accompany me when I play and sing...

I had this problem with a leather strap and wood button. I never figured out a fix. I don’t have that problem on a different leather strap and metal button uke.

I never tried out wax or oil on the strap. I would be interested in knowing if it works as I like some of the fancier strap buttons rather than just plain metal ones

I use beeswax to burnish edges of the leather belts and holsters, etc. that I make from time to time. I prefer using it to using oils and Vaseline, etc., because it doesn’t soak into the leather. It won’t harm wood finishes, either. The hand tool I use for burnishing is basically the same thing as a big ebony strap button. So, I figure a light dressing with beeswax on the edges of the button hole in the leather strap, and the hole will get burnished by being mounted on the strap button and the uke, played. Ain’t never tried it on a uke though.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had that happen with one of my bass ukes, I added the soft side of self stick Velcro to the back side of the leather where it touches the body around the strap button.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom