Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They're coming (flatwounds)...

Follow-up : did anyone else notice the new flats are Not intended for solid body U•BASS®
    I wondered why (since I have 2 solid bodies and wanted to try the flats on one) and asked Kala support. Unfortunately for me, this is the reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala Service Team
    Aloha Jim,

Thanks for reaching out!

Flatwounds delicate enough to work on UBass is still a new technology--we have found with the scale length vs. tension that the flats are not working for the solid bodies--which have a slightly longer scale length that our acoustic electric models.

The risk, besides finicky action, would be adding too much tension/strain on the bridge of your solid body.
    If I can sell my fretted S.U.B., I'll probably look into getting a fretless acoustic just so I can try the flats.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Follow-up : did anyone else notice the new flats are Not intended for solid body U•BASS®I wondered why (since I have 2 solid bodies and wanted to try the flats on one) and asked Kala support. Unfortunately for me, this is the reply: If I can sell my fretted S.U.B., I'll probably look into getting a fretless acoustic just so I can try the flats.
    Jim, all I can give is my experience with the 25" flat wounds made by La Bella exclusively and "only" for the Gold Tone ME solid body bass. I've used them on my RondoMusic Hadean 24" and 21" scale solid bodies, also on all of my mini electric basses and guitar conversions with not a single problem.

Also, I don't consider the Galli I bought to be true flats, they're just coated with a very thin film and the round ridges are still there. I just ordered a set of La Bella 750N 30" short scale with a thick coating of black nylon that I plan on cutting down to use on a 22.6" electric guitar conversion, even though La Bella said they would unwind, but I believe the nylon coating will hold. The only way to know is to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    If I can sell my fretted S.U.B., I'll probably look into getting a fretless acoustic just so I can try the flats.
    There's facebook pages called: Ubass Freaks and playubass, with a lot of info on different and new strings, including the new flatwounds...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Jim, all I can give is my experience with the 25" flat wounds made by La Bella exclusively and "only" for the Gold Tone ME solid body bass. I've used them on my RondoMusic Hadean 24" and 21" scale solid bodies, also on all of my mini electric basses and guitar conversions with not a single problem.
    I understand but if Kala says "their" strings don't work on their solid bodies, I'm not gonna risk my instrument to try.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    There's facebook pages called: Ubass Freaks and playubass, with a lot of info on different and new strings, including the new flatwounds...
    Joined and liked. Thanks!
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Jim, very timely info here. I love my cali and can play it with some degree of skill. Since I put the Gali flats on my Kala acoustic they now sound really good and intonate well. So I was thinking the same as you for my cali. I have to agree with your decision after asking Kala.

kohanmike, do you think the Kala Cali's can handle the tension on the 25" flat wounds made by La Bella (exclusively and "only" for the Gold Tone ME solid body bass).

Quote Originally Posted by Croakie View Post
    kohanmike, do you think the Kala Cali's can handle the tension on the 25" flat wounds made by La Bella (exclusively and "only" for the Gold Tone ME solid body bass).
    I've put those flats on a 21" scale Rondo Hadean solid body bass uke, and on three 24" scale and they work perfectly, no concern what-so-ever about tension. It makes no sense to me what Kala said, their solid body u-bass is string through. I don't heed those concerns, I test it myself easily enough and find that there's no reason at all to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I've put those flats on a 21" scale Rondo Hadean solid body bass uke, and on three 24" scale and they work perfectly, no concern what-so-ever about tension. It makes no sense to me what Kala said, their solid body u-bass is string through. I don't heed those concerns, I test it myself easily enough and find that there's no reason at all to be concerned.
    Seems like intonation is the main concern...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Seems like intonation is the main concern...
    Forgot to say the I'm having my builder make a custom bridge for my Hadean solid bodies with intonation adjustment. I was inspired by the bridge Gold Tone uses on their ME bass uke. It will be wider that the original to accommodate a set screw.

Excuse my ignorance of all things ukulele, and I'm certainly no expert on different types of strings, but I have been buying strings for my guitars for many years, and the price of these seems soooooo high in comparison???? Is there a reason they're so expensive? (I'm just trying to learn more and understand, so my question is not meant flippantly.) Thanks. x
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO RANGER 12 string
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Bass strings in general are expensive compared to guitar and ukulele strings. $20-25 a set for standard roundwounds seems average right now but some of the specialty sets are $45-50 or higher. U-Bass strings are in the upper end of that range and I'm sure they sell a lot fewer of them. Overall, it makes sense, but I agree with you $45-50 a set is still a lot of money for strings.
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW