Interesting video about Petros ukulele

Gmontema

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in Marketplace. Whoops.

This video is great for those interested in learning more about some of the most interesting and pricey ukuleles out there. I hope all find some enjoyment!

https://youtu.be/eoy_ra6CO5o

Most pricey for sure.

I hear crickets.

What did you think of the mass production quality with the use of CNC machines in the production of the ukes? Definitely not one at a time.

I watched it front to back, and other than the double piece necks, I didn't see anything that was all that different from a lot of other ukes that cost way less.
They are very beautiful, to be sure. And Petros obviously cares very deeply about his craft.
But.... they cost around 10 times what I paid for my Loprinzi, which took about the same amount of time to build.

i have been seeing pictures of Petros Ukes for many years....they are nice!
this week at the Ukulele Festival Bruce will be here and he will have some of his ukes with him here...

looking forward to see and play them....

i have been seeing pictures of Petros Ukes for many years....they are nice!
this week at the Ukulele Festival Bruce will be here and he will have some of his ukes with him here...

looking forward to see and play them....

Careful there...that sounds like the pathway to a NUD! Hopefully, you can share your impressions.

Careful there...that sounds like the pathway to a NUD! Hopefully, you can share your impressions.

Haha..not me I have what I need now....but I enjoy talking to the builders and getting to know them and seeing their work...we all love the same thing(Ukulele) Andrew wants to see them to and I am sure Corey and Kalei will enjoy seeing/playing these beautiful ukes

Good to see high end builders get into ukulele making but I still struggle to find the justification for the price. Is the sound that much better the bling factor is higher on other ukes I have seen sell for less.. When I see a Beau Hannam or a Chuck Moore or Devine I can understand the work that has gone into it.. The binding from what I understand is unique to him and he has figured out a way to manufacture them (not hand made).

both Petros ukes are on the HMS(The Ukulele Site) site now..:)

Thanks for posting the video! There hasn’t been a proper video that captures the voice of the petros ukes before this one. It sounded just as good as its looks! I like the sinker redwood with the slotted headstock especially and if only I got the budget for it, I would surely go for it. I can only hope someone here gets it and post a NUD about it!

I don't think I've ever seen the boys at HMS Spend as much time on any other ukulele. Petros is definitely unique. But I wouldn't pull the trigger on one unless I was a multimillionaire.

And here you go...

I'm sure Bruce is pleased with the response. And clearly, these are high end customs...Bruce can certainly create models with less "bling."

Corey likes the Macassar Ebony/Adi Spruce and Kalei likes the Koa/Sinker Redwood...different style of play and different tone...

I am quite curious what the materials are for his rosette and binding materials that allow them to be curved and shaped with the inlays intact. Some kind of polymer?They are very attractive in a over-the-top sort of way.

I am quite curious what the materials are for his rosette and binding materials that allow them to be curved and shaped with the inlays intact. Some kind of polymer?They are very attractive in a over-the-top sort of way.

go to Petros Guitars website...Bruce has many rosettes,purfling(Purflex) tuners buttons...etc all available

Wow. I’m not a fan of the styling (the rosettes are too wide at the waist ::grumble:: ), but those ‘ukulele sound very, very good. I really dig the redwood top one.

For those interesting in learning more about purflex, here’s an indexed version of the patent application: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8138404B1/en

As for the price...Petros' base price is not out of line with other top-tier luthiers in our niche. Bruce and Matt may be "new" to the 'ukulele community, but they are very reputable in the guitar community and seem to take 'ukulele construction seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom