Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season of the Ukulele 387: Shapes of Things

Default Season of the Ukulele 387: Shapes of Things

Hi Seasonistas!

In this season, you have choices: Bring up to 4 songs. Your options are

1) using a non-standard ukulele. No double-bouts. So ... banjoleles, Fleas, Flukes, boat-paddle shapes, cigar boxes, be creative! (Trent and lynda, I have high expectations!)
    2) performing a song with a geometric shape in the title: circle, line, square, hexagon, sphere, etc.
    3) bringing an original with said shapes in the title, or a song about geometry.

Four songs total, in any combination, unless I change my mind toward the end of the week.

Rules:

The usual.

Starts at midnight Hawaii Standard Time Sunday July 14. Ends 11:59 p.m. Sunday July 21.

The uke has to be prominent (especially if it looks really cool), but other instruments and overdubs are fine.

Collabs welcome!

Originals, of course (did you read the intro?)

There may be prizes. Trinkets of some sort. We'll see.

Please comment on others' videos.

HAVE FUN!

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by hendulele; 07-14-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

What a clever theme, I wouldn't have though of it!
    I hope to manage option 1+2 at the same time, if I can find the right song :-)
    Otherwise my Fluke will safe me.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

and some people have the temerity to ask, "why do you need so many ukes?" DUH you need them in every possible shape, for this season! great theme!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    What a clever theme, I wouldn't have though of it!
    I hope to manage option 1+2 at the same time, if I can find the right song :-)
    Otherwise my Fluke will safe me.
    I hoped the Flea/Fluke/Firefly community would appreciate this!
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    and some people have the temerity to ask, "why do you need so many ukes?" DUH you need them in every possible shape, for this season! great theme!

Duh!! Of course!!

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Darn it. I'd just gotten the Iceman Uke out of my system. And the Little Gem. And the Pineapple Sunday (lying - still trying to convince myself on that one, but couldn't get it in time anyway). Apparently I really like oddly shaped ukes. Does a solid-body Les Paul shape count? It's non-standard, but vaguely double-bout.

Lots of good options for songs, though my first thought doesn't quite have a shape in the title. Or is "Particle" a shape?

--Rob

That's a really clever idea, Rick! I always welcome the opportunity to be "non-standard"!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    I hoped the Flea/Fluke/Firefly community would appreciate this!
    This one would....if I hadn’t lent my Flea to my son to take to Costa Rica

Kicking things off with some simple geometry...a line."Jesus is on the Main Line". An old gospel blues.Trying some slide uke in open D.Being plugged in helps a bit with getting the slide to work on nylon strings.This is loosely based on Mississippi Fred McDowell's version.
    Thanks Rick!! been thinking about getting a fluke or flea....should have thought quicker!

I'm deep in the weeds with work, but I wanted to get something in this week, so here's a quick one taker of a song I did awhile back, on the closest thing I have to a square uke. I've always gotten a kick out of this song.

Thread Information