Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season of the Ukulele 387: Shapes of Things

Hello, Rick! This is a double-whammy ... a "square" song, played on a square(ish) uke; my Ukubidon, made here in France from an old oilcan. ZOOM!!!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

​"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

"Betray a friend and you'll often find you have ruined yourself." Aesop

I opened the contest thread this afternoon while I was getting ready to leave the school where I teach. Reading it, I was vaguely disappointed because all my 5 ukes are regular pear-shaped ones. Ooo... New uke? Then it hit me . There's not much of a ukulele market here in Yangon, and there would be no way for me to buy one. Resigned, I looked up the "shape" I'm going to see. It needed a capo. I didn't have one, but I thought the eclectic music shop in Yangon's min market just across the road would have one - maybe even one made for a uke.

What did I find there? Lo and Behold! Uke #6! It's going to be my office uke.

Best of all, it's funny shaped!

20190714_210732.jpg
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Quote Originally Posted by Joko View Post
    I opened the contest thread this afternoon while I was getting ready to leave the school where I teach. Reading it, I was vaguely disappointed because all my 5 ukes are regular pear-shaped ones. Ooo... New uke? Then it hit me . There's not much of a ukulele market here in Yangon, and there would be no way for me to buy one. Resigned, I looked up the "shape" I'm going to see. It needed a capo. I didn't have one, but I thought the eclectic music shop in Yangon's min market just across the road would have one - maybe even one made for a uke.

What did I find there? Lo and Behold! Uke #6! It's going to be my office uke.

Best of all, it's funny shaped!

20190714_210732.jpg
    Encouraging local commerce! Win-win!
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I'd say that was perfect timing, Joko.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

I only have two non traditional shaped ukes and I hope to do a song with each one. First up, I pulled the banjolele out and worked up this old Grateful Dead song. Though I do like the unique tone of this uke, the tight string spacing at the bridge is a bit of a challenge for me to finger pick. But that's what you do with banjoleles right? So I stuck with it. . . Thanks for the season and the reason to pull this neglected instrument out of it's case Rick!

A quick question/clarification: Does a non-standard number of strings count as non-standard, or is this just all about the shape?

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    A quick question/clarification: Does a non-standard number of strings count as non-standard, or is this just all about the shape?
    I’ll allow unusual string configurations, too. Thanks!
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I haven't made a video specifically for The Seasons in over a year. Sorry for being a Class A Jerk, but things have been a bit tight... Another reason that I usually do things as one-and-done, aka "warts and all".

So, for Season 387 - The Shape of Things, played on my Tenor Fluke is Sheldon Harnick's "The Ballad of the Shape of Things" (as I learned it from the Kingston Trio recording...). And keep in mind, Sheldon Harnick is the composer of Fiddler on the Roof...

Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Joko View Post
    Ooo... New uke?
    20190714_210732.jpg
    a. great looking little uke!

and b. i wonder just how many people are gonna get a new uke this week?

ok here is a homemade square song played on a homemade square uke

lynda

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh do we not sail on the ship of fools?
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh why is life so precious and so cruel?

Thread Information