Season of the Ukulele 387: Shapes of Things

Here’s another 90s song - Nirvana’s ‘Heart-Shaped Box’

(I was surprised it hadn’t come up yet!)

Last edited:
Last night I bought a bunch of songs off iTunes that I'd heard on new music podcasts over the past month. I was listening to them in the car on the way to work this morning, and realized that one of them fit this week's theme. And happily someone on the Ultimate Guitar Tab site had already worked out the chords for it. So here's a Mac DeMarco song played on the armadillolele.

using a non-standard ukulele. No double-bouts. So ... banjoleles, Fleas, Flukes, boat-paddle shapes, cigar boxes, be creative! (Trent and lynda, I have high expectations!)
:rock: my fourth vid, and still not a proper looking uke in sight!

another triangle song, "wembley triangle", about the changing skyline at wembley triangle, and indeed all around wembley stadium. not a triangle uke this time, this is my tall, slim, oblong-y quincy acoustic travel uke

She wind up she bottom, she go like a rocket.
She jump up in the air she come down in slow motion
She a hurricane in all kinds of weather.
Shake Senora, Shake that body line.

This songs lyrics have always intrigued. If I woke up to the morning sun shining like a red rubber ball, I would not think it was going to be all right...and I would probably conclude the worst was yet to come.
Red Rubber Ball-The Cyrkle 1966

This is a song called Old Mountain Line by Po' Girl. It's a shame I'm posting this right after Mr. Rutherford above, whose harmonica skills are what you might expect when you see someone with a harmonica in their vid. Mine are a hot mess. In any case, it's been a while and I'm glad to put up a vid with my old Doug Frink special.

Here's some slide on a 3 string fretless cigar box guitar...I mean cigar box uke...a rose by any other name:).my daughter bought me this a couple of years ago.Don't use it much.here's a chance! Midnight Special.

Mandelbrot Set

I'm enjoying your songs about lines, circles and triangles - but it's time we got serious. Here's a song about the mightiest shape there is - the fractal!

Also note mild swear in the chorus, and also this song was written before Benoit Mandelbrot's death so some of the lyrics are now out of date.

Bill Callahan from 2019.
his Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest LP.
the film i took out the window of an airplane landing somewhere.

Hey, folks. After a few hectic spells of other things (some related to local uke stuff ... ), I'm only two days behind in listening to and commenting on the videos now. I'm gobsmacked at the thoughtful and beautiful performances you're all bringing. Keep 'em coming. I'll get to them. And continue being amazed.

Thank you!

Three? It's been years since I've done 3 seasons videos in a week. Alas, got a busy day tomorrow, so this was done late at night, again live on Facebook. I didn't want to wake up the neighbors, so it's a bit muted. Who shows up to watch? One of the people who I supervise at work! Yeah. yeah, ignore the cowboy hat, red silk robe and ukulele... nothing to see here.

The Shape I'm In

Any week where I can do a song by The Band is a good week. This one is about the exact shape that I am in, from their third album.

Sorry I couldn't make it this week. I'm crewing on a friend's yacht, sailing from Malta to Naples, via Sicily and Capri. We're currently halfway along the Calabrian coast. Sadly, I have yet to see any Calabrese do the mambo like-a crazy, but if I do, I shall certainly report back. Arrivederci!!

Paul, sorry not to see you too.

I can't say I blame you for choosing to sail, even so!

Sorry I couldn't make it this week. I'm crewing on a friend's yacht, sailing from Malta to Naples, via Sicily and Capri. We're currently halfway along the Calabrian coast. Sadly, I have yet to see any Calabrese do the mambo like-a crazy, but if I do, I shall certainly report back. Arrivederci!!

Top Bottom