Season of the Ukulele 387: Shapes of Things

You're So Square

Well, LimosineLil already posted a version of this, but hey, great minds think alike. I tried this out on a number of different ukes but it seemed like my new Kala archtop worked the best. Hope you like it.

paoriginoodle with whistling - sorry - I've called it Polygon.

prob my only thing this week - thanks for hosting Rick!

I think that I've covered all three requirements though....

a. great looking little uke! :rock:

and b. i wonder just how many people are gonna get a new uke this week? :rock: :rock: :rock:

Well, lets keep count, shall we? ONE!

I can't recall another week that had a similar [STRIKE]excuse[/STRIKE] prompt that would [STRIKE]justify buying yet another ukulele[/STRIKE] allow for fulfilling the week's task.

A little more than 24 hours in, and we’ve had gems all around. Thank you. Can’t wait to hear what’s next!

Hello again, Rick ... a bit of a quickie, but an event which had to be celebrated! Yesterday, something amazing happened - England won the Cricket World Cup, defeating New Zealand in a thrilling final and by the narrowest of margins. We have never been victors before! (My apologies, this will mean absolutely nothing to anyone on the other side of The Pond ... but, believe me, to us it is HISTORY!!!) I hope that a ball - being round - will qualify in this week of shapes, and I played it on my Gretsch Camp Uke, which is also round. (I seem to have more than my fair share of strangely-shaped ukuleles, which probably says a lot about the fact that I don't take my uke-playing ability very seriously ... thank heavens!)

I also have a 2-fer: different shape uke is a Flea, and the song with a shape is a cover of Tom Petty's Square One, from his 2006 Highway Companion album. Big Petty fan here, really miss that guy. Especially like the lines in this song "Can't sell your soul for peace of mind" and "Always had more dogs than bones". What a songwriting gift he had.

Last edited:
So, as I noted on the previous page, I bought a funny shaped uke on reading this week's theme. Then I barely used it!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/topics/mathematics-and-arithmetic/geometrical-shapes/ - here is a cambridge dictionary list of geometric words...

Aside from that then I am curious as to when a strangely shaped Uke (with more/less than 4 strings) stops being a Uke?
A quick question/clarification: Does a non-standard number of strings count as non-standard, or is this just all about the shape?
I’ll allow unusual string configurations, too. Thanks!

I ask because I only have the 'normal' ukes and the nearest music shop is around 200km away (120+ miles) and I am wondering whether I should use an old Uke neck that I have and try and build something non-uke shaped; I only have 2 tuning heads that I know of so this experiment may or may not work...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/topics/mathematics-and-arithmetic/geometrical-shapes/ - here is a cambridge dictionary list of geometric words...

Aside from that then I am curious as to when a strangely shaped Uke (with more/less than 4 strings) stops being a Uke?

I ask because I only have the 'normal' ukes and the nearest music shop is around 200km away (120+ miles) and I am wondering whether I should use an old Uke neck that I have and try and build something non-uke shaped; I only have 2 tuning heads that I know of so this experiment may or may not work...

That sounds a bit extreme, Kev! Can't you just play a shape-based song on a conventional uke ... I think that is one of the options.

Season 387. Submission 1. "Your Song" (Written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin and recorded by Elton John in 1970)

Thank you very much for hosting, Rick, and your fine theme. Things "come full circle" for me with this one; I loved to sing and play it on guitar in my adolescence and now, a few years later, I'm bringing it with a ukulele. ;)

I'm using a taropatch ukulele here, Rick, in keeping with the idea of songs shaped by more than the "traditional" 4-string ukulele.

That sounds a bit extreme, Kev! Can't you just play a shape-based song on a conventional uke ... I think that is one of the options.
yes i definitely got the impression a different shaped uke was purely an optional extra, and that the main thing is to bring a song with a shape in the title. shaped uke and/or shape song

lynda, you are correct!

Either play a differently shaped/configured uke or a song with a shape in the title.

Thanks!

yes i definitely got the impression a different shaped uke was purely an optional extra, and that the main thing is to bring a song with a shape in the title. shaped uke and/or shape song

This one should qualify both in title and uke choice. This little pineapple shaped uke is one of the Ukulele Kids Club ukes that I use to teach young children with. The name of the song has two shapes in it. "The Moon Represents My Heart" Thanks for hosting Rick!

lynda, you are correct!

Either play a differently shaped/configured uke or a song with a shape in the title.

Thanks!

I have already begun building a homemade uke (which will have 4 strings). I am realizing that finding a shape-title is going to be easier so homemade uke project is more for fun than anything else.
If I manage to make it I will submit a song, no matter how badly the 'instrument' is going to sound ��

Original song played on a guitalele and to be on the safe side I've changed the title, hopefully it qualifies.
I wrote it early this year and although I'm not certain I think I may have done it on a prior season, I've newly recorded it for this week though.

Top Bottom