What replacement tuner for Kala KA-SMHB Solid Mahogany Baritone?

One of the keys (the actual tuning rod) for my Kala KA-SMHB Solid Mahogany Baritone seems to have become loose and is buzzing when I play.

It seems straightforward enough to replace it, but I'm not sure what model to order. Can anyone point me towards the part I need to order?

It's this model - https://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/kala-ka-smhb-solid-mahogany-baritone-ukulele/

Thanks.

Sorry, in advance, if this is a silly answer or suggestions.

Do you mean the shaft around which a string wraps has become loose? If so just tighten the screw on the end.

Before buying anything I’d speak to the shop where you bought the Uke and, if then necessary, contact Kala with your questions. You shouldn’t be having this problem and I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone else - so just one of those things that very occasionally happens to even the best of products and companies.

From what I’ve read on here in the past I believe that Kala are pretty good at honouring warrantees and have a good after sales service.

Hope that that’s some help to get you started.

Thanks, but no, it's not about tightening the screw. It's the turning key itself (on the outside of the slothead) which jiggles about.

I'm not dealing with Kala again, as my last attempt a year ago tested my patience to breaking point. It's probably out of warranty now in any case and I just want to ensure that I buy the correct part. It seems straighforward enough to just remove the outer part, with the turning key and gear, and replace it. Hopefully…

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oh dear, sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Replacing tuners should be straight forward but the last time I did it it proved complex as the screw centres, shaft lengths and hole heights vary between makes and models. If you take the tuner off then there might be a maker’s mark on the currently hidden face. Obviously (?) you’ll want all four tuners to match and therefore (unless you can obtain an identical part) expect to change all four tuners - they are usually sold as packs of four anyway but if individual then beware that they are handed.

If you can supply some dimensions then someone else might be able to suggest a suitable replacement or assist in some other way.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I see that various 'Grover-style' tuners are available quite cheaply, but it's hard to work out if they are the same or similar.

These Gotoh SE series are for slotted head guitars. But the shafts are metal for steel strings. We need plastic shafts for nylon strings.

Thanks. Yes, I see that various 'Grover-style' tuners are available quite cheaply, but it's hard to work out if they are the same or similar.

My suggestion is that you copy or print out the drawing in yahalele’s post, carefully measure the tuners that you have and record the dimensions. As I said earlier the tuner's maker might be marked on the tuner, you have to remove it to see and be careful how you deal with the screws (don’t loose them and don’t damage the thread in the wood).

Thanks to both of you.

TBH, the actual 'woodwork' side of things is what I'm least worried about (famous last words ;) ). It's more about ensuring that I'm working with the correct part to begin with.

These Gotoh SE series are for slotted head guitars. But the shafts are metal for steel strings. We need plastic shafts for nylon strings.

Why do you need plastic shafts?

You need to get this kind of tuner. Classical tuners have plastic shafts for nylon strings.

Top Bottom