Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low G for Kamaka Tenor

Default Low G for Kamaka Tenor

Hey there string gurus, my Kamaka tenor is currently strung with high G Martins. I find the strings somewhat high tension compared to Worths or Oasis strings.

If I switched to a low G set but did not want to file down the nut what would you suggest?

Or maybe Iíll stay high G but go to a lower tension string set but still keep clarity of sound from the koa. What would you suggest in that case?

BYW, I usually buy my strings at Strings by Mail because we have very little selection here in town.
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

The Fremont Soloist wound low G is great, fits all my ukes fine, no nut worries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fremont-SOL...MAAOSw9uBanE4N
    John

Yes, Fremont Soloist. I have one on everything. It is the string of the decade.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    The Fremont Soloist wound low G is great, fits all my ukes fine, no nut worries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fremont-SOL...MAAOSw9uBanE4N
    +1 for the Fremont Soloist. That's what I use for low G on my ukuleles. No need to file the nut on any ukuleles I've tried it on.

I really like Living Water strings for the other strings, and/or for my ukuleles strung high g. They feel lower tension to me than Martins or Worth, (don't know if they actually are), and I really like the sound. I haven't tried Oasis yet. I've purchased Living Water strings from Uke Republic and also directly from Ken Middleton. Getting them from England was surprisingly fast. Almost like they shipped from one town over instead of another country.

I play concert, and strings are a personal preference, of course, so none of that might work for you, but it's a suggestion, anyway.

I have a low G on my Kamaka tenor right now... the clarity of sound is very nice, and no need to file down the nut! Your Oasis strings may be higher or lower tension, depending on the direction you go (i.e., warm vs loud).

As others have already stated, there is no need to file down your nut.

On my Kamaka I currently have Fremont blacklines (unwound G string). To get the tension I like I, first of all, use concert strings versus tenor strings and, secondly, I only tighten the strings to the point of comfort for me. For instance right now the Kamaka is tuned to D# G# C F (four half-steps below GCEA)

Try the Fremont Soloist with a set of Living Waters CONCERT strings. The concert strings will result in lower tension on a tenor, while maintaining that beautiful LW tone.

Humm... good idea about the Freemonts and never thought of going with the concert strings.
    I guess I figured concert strings, meant for a shorter neck, would be even tighter on a tenor size neck.
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

My Kamaka Tenor wears Worth clear low G strings without any mods to the nut.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

I have my HF-3 fitted with a set of Low-G Living Waters Fluorocarbons. I asked for Low-G plain strings to be installed by HMS when I bought it. They put Worth Low-G Clears on.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 07-15-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information