Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps

This version is one of my favorites. By one of our members here -- etudes.

Quote Originally Posted by good_uke_boy View Post
    This version is one of my favorites. By one of our members here -- etudes.

Ohhh, nice. Is there tab for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I think the best rendition is the first one done in New York(?). It was aired on a now dead video channel called Midnight Ukulele Disco. I think I would have seen it in 2005(?). The people who were part of the channel seemed to have a lot of fun at a venue somewhere in NYC, like a stage show every week. Their uke group dressed up in character and had old Martins and played a lot of Hapa Haole and movie style tunes, and they filmed it and posted videos. They also made a their own videos during the week in places around NYC and had guests like Jake appear in videos.
    They were also very left wing and camp and maybe challenged some more conservative types. However, all of the people in the MUD videos seemed to be very competent ukulele players and performers and they looked like they were having a great time.
    Here is a remnant link to track down: http://nwfolk.com/2005/08/midnight-ukulele-disco.html
    Edit added: When this video first appeared on MUD it was similar to watching The Sex Pistols first appearance, but in reverse. Jake introduced a whole new style of being a ukulele performer to the world. No doubt there were already some great ukulele musicians working at the time in Hawaii, but Jake bought it to NYC. The history of the video has been clouded in mystery by marketers for some reason, and someone else now uses the MUD label, which is a shame.
    This video and Iz’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow were the reason I started to play. I think I may be up for trying this now. I can’t sing like Iz and I can’t play like Jake, but if I can at least play it so it is recognizable, that’s good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Ohhh, nice. Is there tab for it?
    Thanks Kevin and Joyful Uke, I don't have tab and I'm not good at writing it. I can tell you the uke is strung low G and tuned GCDF.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    This video and Iz’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow were the reason I started to play. I think I may be up for trying this now. I can’t sing like Iz and I can’t play like Jake, but if I can at least play it so it is recognizable, that’s good enough for me.
    Check out Brittni Paiva's version of SOTR, too. I'm working on that one, but will never get it to sound like she does. It's so beautiful when she plays it.

Quote Originally Posted by etudes View Post
    Thanks Kevin and Joyful Uke, I don't have tab and I'm not good at writing it. I can tell you the uke is strung low G and tuned GCDF.
    I'm trying to learn to tab things out, so I understand why you don't have tab. Interesting tuning. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Hi, gohstrdr! Jake is great! This version of the song is very good and guitar pro tab is very good to learn new songs.

Go to this site and download Guitar pro tab (upper figure). We can arrange this tab in another versions whatever you like. Hence this tab is very good start point to learn "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". We can repeat any parts with sounds, guitar pro tabs are very good to practice. I use Tuxguitar (see the bottom figure) on PC and TablEdit on Android. TablEdit is the only app which can repeat on Android, as far as I know.

http://gtptabs.com/tabs/10/jake-shimabukuro.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I'm trying to learn to tab things out, so I understand why you don't have tab. Interesting tuning. I wouldn't have guessed that.
    I love the GCDF tuning and it has become my standard for the Farallon.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

Found this site where you can purchase tab for Jake's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, (2 versions, apparently, one for US $1.99 and the other for $2.99), as well as a video lesson with tab, (taught by Jake) for $3.99.

I can't vouch for the quality of any of it, but if Jake is doing the video lesson, I would guess that the tab is accurate.

https://www.guitarinstructor.com/sea...ke+shimabukuro
    Last edited by Joyful Uke; 07-18-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    For me the best version is probably by Eric and co at George's memorial concert.

Edit, oops sorry you were asking about sheet music, not actual performances
    That Concert and Ericís playing brought tears to my eyes.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Thread Information