I just signed up for lessons!

Thank you both! I'm trying to be patient with myself, also...and trying to remind myself that this is why I'm taking lessons, to get better. :) I'm still enjoying playing, even knowing I'm going to mess up. I know that's part of the path to learning to play.

Oops, forgot to update! Had my lesson Wednesday evening. I'm really starting to falter, but my instructor said the things that are throwing me are things that throw everybody. He ran me through a couple of the things I've been practicing, then said I don't need to do them anymore and can concentrate on new exercises, most of which incorporate the earlier ones. My callouses are coming back and I even did a barre chord correctly-- whoo!

I won't have a lesson the first week of each month, so I've got a little break until the next one. I should be able to get a lot more practice in between now and then. :)

Congrats on the barre chord!

I hope you are enjoying the lessons and feel that you are progressing. Can you share a little of what you are learning?

Congrats on the barre chord!

I hope you are enjoying the lessons and feel that you are progressing. Can you share a little of what you are learning?

Thanks! :)

Right now we are at the basic beginnings. I'm learning the scale, we've reviewed a few chords (that I had learned on my own, though I still transition between them pretty slowly/clumsily), and working on timing and reading music. He's also working on getting me to not stop when I make a mistake ("because then you're practicing stopping").

Does that explain it, or should I be describing it in more detail?

It sounds like the type of lesson plans a music teacher would put together. But I would try to pare down some of the materials unless you intend to take lessons for years from this person. Seems too similar to my childhood piano lessons where a lot of teaching went on, less learning, less practice still because none of the stuff was fun. I would consider putting off reading music and learning scales for a bit.

I think the fun of starting in uke is that you can learn a few chords, a strum pattern or two, and then play songs. Better yet if it is done with other people (like a meetup or jam session, especially with groups that welcome beginners, which is a large majority). Then learn more songs and more strum patterns while getting comfortable with the timing and singing along. This falls under "strum and sing" which is the route many take to start. Then reading uke tablature is much more fun than reading music as you can jump into it much faster.

After a few months of this, I would then consider whether I wanted more on the music theory and reading. Otherwise, beware if it bogs you down and discourages you from playing as much.

Ignore all this if you are happy with your lessons and instructor. Otherwise, you may guide him/her as to what direction you would like to proceed.

I do already know a few chords and we are working on a couple of strumming patterns. I have trouble keeping time and we're working on that, as well. So far I'm okay with what he's having me work on, but if it does get boggy, I'll keep in mind that I can let him know that and ask him to change up what we're working on. Thanks for the advice!

Most people tell you to use a metronome to help with timing. I know this works and it's the "right" way to do things, but I could never do this. I can't stand following a clicker. It's so boring. What really helped me was just learning songs and playing them with the recordings. It's kind of like playing with a band. Once you get a few chords under your belt, start working on some songs. It really helped me.

Top Bottom