Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just signed up for lessons!

First lesson went well! Thank you, everybody! Today was mostly going over the basics so the instructor could see where I am. He gave me some things to work on for next week, and when I thanked him afterward for his patience (hello, adult beginner here with no delusions-- I know I'm fumbling around ), he said I was doing fine for just starting and better than where a lot of people begin.

I told him I'd been learning at home but wanted to start taking lessons to make sure I was progressing like I should and so if I'm developing bad habits, they can get corrected before they're set. He said he played guitar for 20 years before taking his first lesson, and it took him years to break some of his bad habits. That was encouraging. I think jumping into lessons now rather than later was a good idea for me.

I have a tiny idea of what I'm doing.

Sounds like a good first lesson and also that you hit it off well with your instructor. Will follow your subsequent experiences in this thread (so keep posting).

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Sounds like a good first lesson and also that you hit it off well with your instructor. Will follow your subsequent experiences in this thread (so keep posting).
    Thank you, I'll try to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by boojiboo View Post
    First lesson went well! Thank you, everybody! Today was mostly going over the basics so the instructor could see where I am. He gave me some things to work on for next week, and when I thanked him afterward for his patience (hello, adult beginner here with no delusions-- I know I'm fumbling around ), he said I was doing fine for just starting and better than where a lot of people begin.

I told him I'd been learning at home but wanted to start taking lessons to make sure I was progressing like I should and so if I'm developing bad habits, they can get corrected before they're set. He said he played guitar for 20 years before taking his first lesson, and it took him years to break some of his bad habits. That was encouraging. I think jumping into lessons now rather than later was a good idea for me.
    Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing & please keep up the good work!
    Happy just to be a Newbie, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing & please keep up the good work!
    Thank you! I was really pleased with how it went. I'm actually looking forward to practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by boojiboo View Post
    First lesson went well!
    Congrats! If you're anything like most of us (sorry for the audacity of speaking for others) you'll find that you'll want to "practice" as much as possible and will soon feel weird when you aren't holding your uke, just strumming chords or doing a picking pattern.

One of us, one of us, gabba gabba ...

Quote Originally Posted by PoiDog View Post
    Congrats! If you're anything like most of us (sorry for the audacity of speaking for others) you'll find that you'll want to "practice" as much as possible and will soon feel weird when you aren't holding your uke, just strumming chords or doing a picking pattern.

One of us, one of us, gabba gabba ...
    We accept her, we accept her?

It already feels that way a little. Just hanging out and holding an uke is comforting, somehow.

I'm in the same place as you are. (No music theory. Can't read music. No instrumental background.) So, I am very interested in your experience with the lessons.

If there are any uke clubs near you, I highly recommend getting involved with it. Most are really welcoming for beginner players. And it's a lot more fun when you're playing with others.

Enjoy the journey. And as others have said, have fun!
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I'm in the same place as you are. (No music theory. Can't read music. No instrumental background.) So, I am very interested in your experience with the lessons.

If there are any uke clubs near you, I highly recommend getting involved with it. Most are really welcoming for beginner players. And it's a lot more fun when you're playing with others.

Enjoy the journey. And as others have said, have fun!
    Okay, I'll try to remember to post here whenever I have a lesson!

There's apparently a club in St. Louis, which is near-ish to my town, but I've tried to contact them via their facebook page and never heard back. I'm not at a point to be playing with others, but it still would have been nice to hold out as a future endeavor. Oh, well. I'm having fun on my own, too!

Second lesson last night! I messed up-- a LOT-- and after I told my instructor, "I swear I PRACTICED," he reassured me that "It's harder in here." He remains patient and still told me I'm doing well for a beginner. We covered some more basics, played through some exercises, and he coached me on picking back up after making a mistake (or lots of mistakes). Sent me home with more homework.

I was really frustrated with myself for messing up so badly when I was doing so much better with the exercises at home, but I'm glad that he's still being patient. I need that.

Thread Information