pineapple advice

boojiboo

Reaction score
I'm vaguely considering getting a pineapple. It wouldn't be my main uke, so I'm trying to be budget-conscious about it. I'm looking at either an Ohana PK-10, probably from Mim (set up, whoo!) or a Makala MK-P (cheaper, but not set up). If anyone has any recommendations for one over the other, I'd like to know before I decide. :) Thanks!

I'm vaguely considering getting a pineapple. It wouldn't be my main uke, so I'm trying to be budget-conscious about it. I'm looking at either an Ohana PK-10, probably from Mim (set up, whoo!) or a Makala MK-P (cheaper, but not set up). If anyone has any recommendations for one over the other, I'd like to know before I decide. :) Thanks!

I don’t think that you’ll go ‘wrong’ with either however for (almost literally) just a few dollars more you could get something that will serve you well for years instead. I have a Kala KA-P which has been much used and loved, getting one of them would be my recommendation (Edit. They’re currently just $80 inc delivery on eBay.com)

I’m a great supporter of Makala products but if you must go for a cheaper item (than the Kala) then a set up Ohana from Mim would be a sensible choice ...... there is a (nice) Concert version of that too. If you’re happy to buy second hand and can find a cheap one then the Lanikai LU-21P is well worth having instead of the Makala and Ohanna Sopranos (it’s very similar to the Kala KA-P, just an earlier version of that design).

Last edited:
I am tending to dinosaur status BUT my favorite pineapple is an old, beat up Kamaka gold label that cost me $200 with some repaired cracks. It is wonderful to play, the sound is great. I treated it to a set of Gotoh upt tuners. I prefer this to so many of the new offerings. I owned a Mele koa topped pineapple and it was really sweet - now passed on to a friend. IMHO koa is the wood of choice, especially for a pineapple.

I always say to only get the ones that smell like pineapples when you sniff their butts.

Are you speaking of a soprano pineapple or a larger size? I know of several really nice soprano pineapples, but have yet to see a larger one.

Are you speaking of a soprano pineapple or a larger size? I know of several really nice soprano pineapples, but have yet to see a larger one.

I believe that the OP was speaking of Soprano instruments.

Ohana do some Concert scale Pineapple Ukes too (see Mim’s site) and Oscar Schmidt does a basic laminate Concert as well.

I have an Ohano pkc-25g. A concert pineapple with 19 frets. Love it!

Whatever you get, have it setup.

Consider the Luna Tattoo Pineapple Mahogany. I am certainly am enjoying mine.

Direct from Luna or Amazon, the price is the same.

-Wiggy

I have an Ohano pkc-25g. A concert pineapple with 19 frets. Love it!

Whatever you get, have it setup.

That's the primary reason I'd go with the slightly higher cost one from Mim...I have another uke she set up for me and I adore it.

Thank you everyone for the continuing advice and input!

That's the primary reason I'd go with the slightly higher cost one from Mim...I have another uke she set up for me and I adore it.

Thank you everyone for the continuing advice and input!

She has a Kala KA-P available .......... fitted martin strings and a bone saddle to mine, and been very pleased with it. It’s loud, sounds good, intonates well and I’ve found it to be both well built and durable.
https://www.mimsukes.com/listing/mi...nate-mahogany-matte-ukulele-uke-m521/26261213
Just saying ...

Last edited:
Consider the Luna Tattoo Pineapple Mahogany. I am certainly am enjoying mine.

Direct from Luna or Amazon, the price is the same.

-Wiggy

I would not recommend this model.
I had one, and sold it again. Not much of a sound to it.
Perhaps a few specimens turn out well, but not the one I had.

So... I am a BIT of a Pineapple fanatic, so my advice might be a bit biased! But, by all means get a PINEAPPLE ASAP! I've received lots of pleasure from the many I've owned & the ones I still have.

Can't go wrong w/MIM - she does a great setup on every uke that she sells.

Personally, I prefer a long-neck Pineapple, so the couple of Pineapples that I no longer own are those that were concert body w/tenor scale neck (a Mainland, a Mele, & even a Pineapple Sunday)

One of my favorites is my Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple - you might also want to consider looking at getting one directly from Mainland like this one - also setup by Mike Hater & Tookta:

https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc;jsessionid=98419C233B302C50AA7959CF3BF099FA.p3plqscsfapp002?productId=87&categoryId=3

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Mim. The Mainland is lovely, but far out out my range right now. Never hurts to have recommendations, though. :)

Top Bottom