Pickup in Leolani

I've never tried one, so I don't know if they interfere with strumming or not. However, MiSi and LR Baggs make sound hole pickups as well, so they must not be too problematic?
The HMS video sounded pretty cool. Not having to deal with cables & amps, but being able to shape the sound a little would be cool in some situations. Just this past weekend I went to a uke jam, but didn't bring my uke with a pickup. When I got there the leader asked if I wanted to play a solo & did I bring a uke I could plug into his amp. Yes to playing a solo, but no to bringing a uke I could plug in. One instance where that Leolani might come in handy.

Last edited:
Yes, the location of that device might bother me, but it must need to be there.

The sound effects of that Leolani pickup are amazing.

https://vimeo.com/347960103

Last edited:
Yes, the location of that device might bother me, but it must need to be there.

The sound effects of that Leolani pickup are amazing.

https://vimeo.com/347960103

I was blown away as they say hearing it. I did look at the Misi and LR Baggs websites and didn't see a soundport amplifier for Ukuleles - only for guitars which have bigger sound holes. And used magnetism which wouldn't work with nylon type strings.

I was blown away as they say hearing it. I did look at the Misi and LR Baggs websites and didn't see a soundport amplifier for Ukuleles - only for guitars which have bigger sound holes. And used magnetism which wouldn't work with nylon type strings.

Great sounds. I wonder if those pickups will be available separately.

EDIT: So I guess these have been around for a while.
https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-guitar-pickup-systems

Great sounds. I wonder if those pickups will be available separately.

EDIT: So I guess these have been around for a while.
https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-guitar-pickup-systems

Has anyone tried one of the LR Baggs a acoustic guitar pickups in a ukulele? And if so which one and with what success?

As for the Leolani, I spoke with Zak on Sunday and they weren't sure if the amplifier would be available separately. As for the link thanks.

The LRBaggs and Misi systems are just pickups without unamplified effects, no? As I understand it, the Leolani amp has a built-in speaker driver that uses the ukulele body as a cab to add effects without an external amplifier.

I have a ToneWoodAmp which is more similar to (what I think) the Leolani does. The ToneWoodAmp attaches to the back of a guitar, takes input from the guitar's pickup, and then drives the guitar body as a cab to add amplified effects. Unfortunately its magnetic mounting system installs through the soundhole and is too large to retrofit into a tenor uke. It shouldn't be hard to integrate the magnets into a ukulele while it's being built.

I've never tried one, so I don't know if they interfere with strumming or not. However, MiSi and LR Baggs make sound hole pickups as well, so they must not be too problematic?
The HMS video sounded pretty cool. Not having to deal with cables & amps, but being able to shape the sound a little would be cool in some situations. Just this past weekend I went to a uke jam, but didn't bring my uke with a pickup. When I got there the leader asked if I wanted to play a solo & did I bring a uke I could plug into his amp. Yes to playing a solo, but no to bringing a uke I could plug in. One instance where that Leolani might come in handy.

In the video the pickup acts as a preamp where you can plugin to a PA or Amp. And it has a built-in speaker so you can get the effects without plugging in, but you still have to have an instrument mic to be heard at a venue. The same as when you're playing straight acoustic.

I can't help but wonder about feedback issues. The speaker in the pickup interacting with an instrument microphone.

They were commenting that you can plug into a PA system and use the picup's built-in effects without using a pedal or external preamp. Still have to have a cable to do that.

Last edited:
According to Andrew at HMS, the pickup in the Leolani is an udersaddle type. The black doodad lodged in the sound hole is the effects unit and control surface. Ukulele players tend to strum over the fingerboard albeit I could imagine a sound hole device might interfere with fingerpicking if you play with long nails or percuss the strings.

According to Andrew at HMS, the pickup in the Leolani is an udersaddle type. The black doodad lodged in the sound hole is the effects unit and control surface. Ukulele players tend to strum over the fingerboard albeit I could imagine a sound hole device might interfere with fingerpicking if you play with long nails or percuss the strings.

I assume there must be a mini-speaker in there too? It is a very cool device, for sure!

The pickup is undersaddle. That thing across the sound hole is an effects unit, with a speaker on the inside that creates the effects, allowing the soundboard to resonate along.

I've got several friends who used something similar for guitars, but it attaches to the back of the guitar. Interesting effects, including reverb and fuzz, but I don't know if it is something I'd ever get used to. I've always liked a clean, acoustic sound, and I get that from my K&K, B-Band, MiSi, and L.R. Baggs pickups. And microphones.

-Kurt​

No fuzz, just chorus, delay, and reverb.

Hey Russ the guy in the video looks like you.....:) you are one of maybe 4 people that have tried out this Leolani did you like it?

I posted on the video on YouTube, and someone told me that these units have been out for a year...Leolani didn't have any role in developing the product...and theoretically, any ukulele (with a normal sound hole) could have this installed.

I really liked it! The benefits really shine when you think about just easy playing on the couch or on the go where you can experiment with effects without the hassle of having a whole kit with you. I’m a big fan of effects in general because they tend to unlock songs and you write around effects and, even with just the reverb, you can really slow down your playing and enjoy the notes. It was a whole lot of fun.

No fuzz, just chorus, delay, and reverb.

Yeah, wasn't sure about the Double in the Leolani, but the unit that goes on the backs of acoustic guitars has it (at least one of the ones I tried did...)

I haven't even tried an effects peddle with a uke; I think reverb and looper are all that I'd want, but not sure what I'd do with them.

-Kurt​

The Uke and pick up, sound hole effects processor was cool. I’d like to try one. I’d rather just buy the sound hole processor and add to my current Uke. If I wanrpted to amplify, I could add a under saddle.

Saying that, the solid top Leolani sounded fine. With HMS set up it’s probably and ok Uke. I don’t need another tenor, right now. I could use the sound hole processor. I hope they eventually sell them separate at a reasonable cost.

My .02 cents worth.

Funny, as soon as I saw this, I wrote Andrew to see if he knew if the pickup/speaker would be available independently. Would love to try one out on my LdfM without a pickup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom