For you pyrography haters out there

YogiTom

Reaction score
I’m sure many UU members already watch these podcasts from HMS, but I wanted to call out by far the coolest pyrography I’ve seen on a uke to date.

Andrew mentions some “new radical” stuff around 15:25, but the uke in question is really featured starting around 16:10.

Historical significance and rarity aside, just based purely esthetics, I’d buy this over a Kamaka painted pineapple in a heartbeat. :D

I know some people don’t like it, but I think the pineapple pyro looks amazing. Although I applaud Pops, love Koaloha, and love his pushing of the boundaries, I’m not sure how I feel about the label inside the uke.

Still, amazing looking uke!

My wife had similar thoughts about the label inside.

There's no getting around how great the pyrogography looks on this, though. That's seriously top-notch artistry.

Stunning to look at. Amazing craftsmanship. Whoever wins that auction will be in for a treat!

Wow, even when the pyro master absolutely KILLS it - UU keyboard lurkers STILL be hating on the one tinniest thing like “ehh... don like da stickah!”. Unbelievable :rolleyes:, just press.

Last edited:
Looks so cheap, sorry. Be careful KoAloha, you are a highly respected brand. You would not find Kamaka making novelty ukuleles in 2019.

Looks so cheap, sorry. Be careful KoAloha, you are a highly respected brand. You would not find Kamaka making novelty ukuleles in 2019.

They already made this years ago: https://www.theukulelesite.com/juke-a-lele-tenor-ukulele.html

Not to mention the Scepter model, I’m not sure how much more “novelty” they can get. I see a masterful marriage of form and design, all in a great sounding uke. But opinions are like...well, you know the saying. :)

...... in 2019

And? Still don’t see why the year matters.

They make great sounding ukes, and aren’t afraid to push artistic and design boundaries. I don’t always like what they do, but this is an exception in my book. It looks real enough to eat!

As you say it's a matter of personal taste. I think if KoAloha want to produce toys they should do so under a different brand name if they want to continue to be thought of as one of the big boys. It would be like Rolls Royce producing tricycles.

As you say it's a matter of personal taste. I think if KoAloha want to produce toys they should do so under a different brand name if they want to continue to be thought of as one of the big boys. It would be like Rolls Royce producing tricycles.

You’re totally right on opinions, and that analogy is definitely one we can disagree on. :)

(can't seem to do a row of smileys so - :D X 5)

Last edited:
I guess I’m in the pyro-hater group since I’ve said that some look like measles, but I do like the Ko’olau Pyro Leaves that HMS has now.

It's gorgeous, but it obscures the beauty of the wood. I guess they pick some with less captivating grain.

Confusing. Does the pyrography affect the sound? If it doesn't, why would it become a toy? Doesn't the ability to make music and the quality of sound it produces determine whether it is a Rolls Royce quality instrument, merely a work of art, or just a toy if the art is substandard?

My understanding is that the art work is being done by outside artists on the bare wood of the body of the instrument. The artists then send the instrument to Ko'Aloha to finish the instrument and do final assembly. That permanently seals the art.

I think the artist works on an assembled body, without a neck or bridge. Those are added by the factory along with the clear finish.

This reminds me of BMW in the 70s. They had various artists paint their endurance race cars for the 24hrs of LaMans and other races. They got a lot of flak from purists. But also a lot of publicity. (It also dramatically increased the value of the car.)

Some of the pyrography art I like. Such as this one. Some I dislike. But I admire Ko'Aloha for doing something original in conjunction with various artists. The artist's face is the one you see on the label.

Personally I think pyrography is a fad. And it will not stand up to the test of time. But I'm usually wrong with predictions such as this one. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom