FS Mike Pereira built Black Walnut baritone – Mint condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
SOLD: Mike Pereira built Black Walnut baritone – Mint condition

Now sold Thank you.

For sale in mint condition is a Mike Pereira built baritone. Black Walnut body, Honduran Mahogany neck, East Indian Rosewood fingerboard & bridge. Black Walnut headstock overlay, Cali decal on back of the headstock. MOP face dots. Bone nut & saddle. Grover 14:1 open geared tuners. And a light satin poly finish. These are built in small batches without any bling to keep the building cost down. I am the original owner and purchased it in January 2019 from Mim (great setup!).

Key dimensions: 1-3/8” width at the nut. 19.5” scale length (perfect).
Flat D neck profile about 5/8" thickness back to top of fretboard near the nut. Very comfortable. No flaws, dents, or dings, just as received new in January of this year. Only lightly and infrequently played.

sold.

From the Mike Pereira, “I acquired this log of Walnut from a ranch in Tulare, California, in the Central Valley. They cut the tree many years before I got it, and has been drying in my shop for the past 5 years. So, it is well seasoned and great sounding tonewood. And, being that the vast majority of MP ukes I make have Ebony fingerboards I have a pile of Rosewood fingerboards that have been sitting on for about the last 10 years. I have decided to pair these woods together to make a very simple and affordable model. So, the Cali model uke is born! There is no binding, no rosette, no bling whatsoever...just a really great sounding, booming ukulele.

This is an outstanding baritone, with great sound, playability, feel and looks. Big voice, very responsive, articulate, and resonant. It has no shortcomings. Unfortunately, I have several other outstanding baritones. So, pushing out a prime instrument in an effort to reduce my numbers of ukes.

Recent sound sample with Living Water Strings on 1-3 with Oasis smooth wound D string.
https://app.box.com/s/dcw4cwcbwhfc8nrcgufe4mcdtpdg4k1h

I did a review of this instrument here:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?138283-Cali-Walnut-Baritone-from-Mike-Pereira

Pictures:
P1090208 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090210 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090213 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090212 by hejenkins, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had one of Mike's tenors a few years ago. It was similar to this one in that it wasn't blingy and thus was priced very reasonably considering the high quality of materials and construction. It was a very nice instrument with comfortable playability. Anyone looking for a baritone in this price range should give this one careful consideration. Really. :)

I have a Cali black walnut tenor that is the smaller sibling of this baritone. It is a boomer with a big, deep voice. I love it and is responsible for me buying three more MP tenors. As saltytri said, it has very comfortable playability. Sounds great too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom