Non-Wound Baritone Strings?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just got myself a new (old!) Harmony Baritone uke. The old strings were crap so I mounted a set of D'Addario Titanium (E787B) strings. They're still breaking in but I'm really not crazy about the sound of the two wound strings (D & G). Very boomy and harsh sounding and not at all compatible with the non-wound B & E strings.

Other than Worth and Living Water, does anyone else make non-wound, Low D Baritone strings? Have you found any good matches for vintage Harmony Baris?

Other than Worth and Living Water, does anyone else make non-wound, Low D Baritone strings? Have you found any good matches for vintage Harmony Baris?
Not that I know of since Southcoast is no longer an option.

If you're not tied to DGBE tuning, you may have some other options with low G tenor sets. For example I've used my the Living Water low G tenor set for A tuning on a baritone.

You can also try the Thomastik Infeld strings for wound D and G. They're flatwound so will give a much different feel and sound than the D'Addarios.

Not that I know of since Southcoast is no longer an option.

If you're not tied to DGBE tuning, you may have some other options with low G tenor sets. For example I've used my the Living Water low G tenor set for A tuning on a baritone.

You can also try the Thomastik Infeld strings for wound D and G. They're flatwound so will give a much different feel and sound than the D'Addarios.
Thanks, Jim. I'm probably not going to be playing Baritone in a group setting, so I'm open to other tunings. I assume the T-I strings are acoustic, classical guitar strings, right? I may give them a shot. I'll probably also order a Worth Baritone DGBE set and maybe a Low G set, also. Might as well experiment. Strings are definitely cheaper than ukuleles!

Top Bottom