Thread: Restringing a 12 string

Default Restringing a 12 string

Iím about to restring my 50 year old EKO JUMBO 12 string, and want to give it a good clean up and fretboard oiling while doing so.

Thereís lots a differing trains of thought on this re maintaining tension on the neck, so thought iíd ask you guys for your opinions:

Remove ALL the strings at once, just some of them at a time, or replace each string one at a time?
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO RANGER 12 string
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by S11LKO View Post
    Iím about to restring my 50 year old EKO JUMBO 12 string, and want to give it a good clean up and fretboard oiling while doing so.

Thereís lots a differing trains of thought on this re maintaining tension on the neck, so thought iíd ask you guys for your opinions:

Remove ALL the strings at once, just some of them at a time, or replace each string one at a time?
    The neck tension "issue" is an urban myth. I play mainly 12-strings, and find that replacing one string at a time is more a matter of convenience as you have the others for reference when getting it back up to tune. Also, it seems that bridge pins made of natural materials may be uneven and fitted to their respective holes, so it's a good way to keep track of bridge pins and get them back in the same hole. On the other hand once in a while the guitars need a good dusting and cleaning, and fretboard oiling, saddle adjustment etc, so in that case it's perfectly ok to take off all strings at the same time (maybe label the bridge pins or put back in the hole after string is removed).

I have always removed all my strings before restringing. On my banjo uke and resonator I leave the “C” string in place to hold the bridge. I have never had an issue with either a guitar or uke. It can take several hours for a guitar neck to come back from removing tension, so don’t change string on the day of a gig.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by S11LKO View Post
    I’m about to restring my 50 year old EKO JUMBO 12 string, and want to give it a good clean up and fretboard oiling while doing so.

There’s lots a differing trains of thought on this re maintaining tension on the neck, so thought i’d ask you guys for your opinions:

I don't see any good alternative to removing all the strings at the same time - seeing as you're planning to clean and oil the fretboard as well. But under normal circumstances, especially with a 12 string, I replace them string for string.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Hi, young Dave!

Just check the floating of fret wires, as it is a good chance to fix if needed. And I know you do not change strings very often, coating ones by Elixir or D'addario may last long. My Morris W35 is 40 year old. It sounds very good.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Thought that while I'm otherwise laid up I may as well give my kit some gentle TLC.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

* GUITARS
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor

* OTHERS

Hi, young Dave! There is a similar on going thread in Acoustic Guitar Forum. This thread may help your string change.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=551487

Quote Originally Posted by yahalele View Post
    Hi, young Dave! There is a similar on going thread in Acoustic Guitar Forum. This thread may help your string change.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=551487
    Thanks mate. I’ve visited and read the thread there. It was very helpful.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

* GUITARS
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor

* OTHERS

Thread Information