Restringing a 12 string

S11LKO

Reaction score
I’m about to restring my 50 year old EKO JUMBO 12 string, and want to give it a good clean up and fretboard oiling while doing so.

There’s lots a differing trains of thought on this re maintaining tension on the neck, so thought i’d ask you guys for your opinions:

Remove ALL the strings at once, just some of them at a time, or replace each string one at a time?

I’m about to restring my 50 year old EKO JUMBO 12 string, and want to give it a good clean up and fretboard oiling while doing so.

There’s lots a differing trains of thought on this re maintaining tension on the neck, so thought i’d ask you guys for your opinions:

Remove ALL the strings at once, just some of them at a time, or replace each string one at a time?

The neck tension "issue" is an urban myth. I play mainly 12-strings, and find that replacing one string at a time is more a matter of convenience as you have the others for reference when getting it back up to tune. Also, it seems that bridge pins made of natural materials may be uneven and fitted to their respective holes, so it's a good way to keep track of bridge pins and get them back in the same hole. On the other hand once in a while the guitars need a good dusting and cleaning, and fretboard oiling, saddle adjustment etc, so in that case it's perfectly ok to take off all strings at the same time (maybe label the bridge pins or put back in the hole after string is removed).

I have always removed all my strings before restringing. On my banjo uke and resonator I leave the “C” string in place to hold the bridge. I have never had an issue with either a guitar or uke. It can take several hours for a guitar neck to come back from removing tension, so don’t change string on the day of a gig.

I don't see any good alternative to removing all the strings at the same time - seeing as you're planning to clean and oil the fretboard as well. But under normal circumstances, especially with a 12 string, I replace them string for string.

Hi, young Dave!

Just check the floating of fret wires, as it is a good chance to fix if needed. And I know you do not change strings very often, coating ones by Elixir or D'addario may last long. My Morris W35 is 40 year old. It sounds very good.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Thought that while I'm otherwise laid up I may as well give my kit some gentle TLC.

Top Bottom