Rajao dimensions?

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello all,

Working through Gaspar Sanz tablature recently, I am seeing where a 5th string would come in handy. The re entrant Ukulele is working well, but someday, if I ever try to build something, a Rajao would be first on my list to try.

Doing some searching on the net is not turning up drawings or even dimensions for that instrument. I am contemplating something like the “Taro patch fiddle “, not the modern steel string examples from Portugal.

I found plans for an 1825 Pons Ainé Guitar on the American Luthier site. I ordered the relevant back issue to get a closer look at it. The headstock and body shape look closer than any other drawings I have found so far.

Anyone have any dimensions for an instrument like this? A 5 course single strung instrument with a concert size body and wide tenor length neck would be my guess as to where to start.

Thanks for any help or leads!

Anyone have any dimensions for an instrument like this? A 5 course single strung instrument with a concert size body and wide tenor length neck would be my guess as to where to start.

Thanks for any help or leads!

Wikipedia says standard tuning is D4-G4-C4-E4-A4 so you could use almost any size body and scale from soprano to tenor that you wanted.

I'm sure David Hanson could build one for you: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...id-Hanson-5-string-tenor-quot-Caramelele-quot

Thanks for sharing that. Yes, that is what I have in mind. That is a beautiful instrument and a talented musician!

I know it’s isn't answering your question but I want to make one too...The Met Museum has a wild looking fish shaped, 4 stringed rajao alongside it's ukulele.

It's hard to tell behind glass but it seems to have pretty significantly arched softwood top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom