Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Patreon?

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    What do you mean by "access" to your google account?
    I have no idea. You'd have to ask Patreon.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience
    Last edited by Booli; 07-22-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Some Patreon artists (Like Cynthia Lin) have apps where you can access they content directly.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post

You are using UNIQUE passwords, right?

Like NOT having the same password for YouTube, email, twitter, facebook, your bank account, etc????
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise.

I do have email, but not YT account, or social media, or Netflix. I don't do any online banking. I don't pay bills online. Maybe that makes me a ludite, and I know the few accounts I have online can be hacked, but at least I don't have as many passwords are those of you with over 150 or more email addresses. Seems like a full time job just to manage all those.

But, I know if you need to have a lot of online accounts, your approach is a good way to go.

My approach is to try to limit the number of accounts needed. Not hack-proof, but it does limit my exposure at least a little bit. It's enough of a task just to deal with the work passwords that are needed. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Some Patreon artists (Like Cynthia Lin) have apps where you can access they content directly.
    That's good to know. She is one of the people who caught my eye, so to speak, when I was looking at Patreon artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise.

I do have email, but not YT account, or social media, or Netflix. I don't do any online banking. I don't pay bills online. Maybe that makes me a ludite, and I know the few accounts I have online can be hacked, but at least I don't have as many passwords are those of you with over 150 or more email addresses. Seems like a full time job just to manage all those.

But, I know if you need to have a lot of online accounts, your approach is a good way to go.

My approach is to try to limit the number of accounts needed. Not hack-proof, but it does limit my exposure at least a little bit. It's enough of a task just to deal with the work passwords that are needed. :-)
    As said earlier in this thread, I subscribe to Cynthia Lin and Stu Fuchs via Patreon. There seems to be some confusion here as to how to subscribe to an artist's Patreon content/ support an artist via Patreon. As to my subscriptions, they were made via Cynthia's and Stu's Patreon sites. Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say. Since I do have a Gmail address I became unsure but have checked FAQ pages and it seems to me that
    1) an e-mail address of any kind will work
    2) Payments to the creator, via Patreon as the administrator, can be made via credit, debit card or Pay-Pal
    So one does not have to have a Google account, or a Facebook account, if that's an issue. I don't do FB and I don't do PayPal. Personally, I've always felt indebted to people who provide free content and I like to support them. Plus, for me, it's both easier to be a Patreon than to have to pay for individual tabs, per tab, and one gets access to all of the content. So all in all it's a win-win, at least with Cynthia and Stu's sites.

Quote Originally Posted by LPeacock View Post
    As said earlier in this thread, I subscribe to Cynthia Lin and Stu Fuchs via Patreon. There seems to be some confusion here as to how to subscribe to an artist's Patreon content/ support an artist via Patreon. As to my subscriptions, they were made via Cynthia's and Stu's Patreon sites. Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say. Since I do have a Gmail address I became unsure but have checked FAQ pages and it seems to me that
    1) an e-mail address of any kind will work
    2) Payments to the creator, via Patreon as the administrator, can be made via credit, debit card or Pay-Pal
    So one does not have to have a Google account, or a Facebook account, if that's an issue. I don't do FB and I don't do PayPal. Personally, I've always felt indebted to people who provide free content and I like to support them. Plus, for me, it's both easier to be a Patreon than to have to pay for individual tabs, per tab, and one gets access to all of the content. So all in all it's a win-win, at least with Cynthia and Stu's sites.
    Thanks. I'll look into subscribing that way instead of directly through Patreon.
    Like you, I like to support people who help out the ukulele community.
    Cynthia Lin caught my attention on YouTube, but I don't think I ran across Stu Fuchs. I'll have to look into his videos, too.

<<Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say>>

LPeacock, that seems to be the case. Thanks for your explanation above. Based on that, I was able to become a sponsor for somebody without signing up for Patreon, and without giving my google account or FB. You are correct, it seems to be different if you become a sponsor from the artist's own video or site, rather than joining Patreon to do it. Very confusing, but I am glad to have this information.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post

You are using UNIQUE passwords, right?

Like NOT having the same password for YouTube, email, twitter, facebook, your bank account, etc????

They should ALL be different, and unique and at least a minimum of 12 digits of upper/lower-case letters, numbers and symbols, otherwise with rainbow tables and other hacker tools if your password has a 'dictionary word in it, with the speed and power of modern computers, the passwords can be hacked via brute force techniques in just a few minutes...

Yes, I do know some deep info about this kind of thing having worked professionally in Infotech, Computers and Network Security for ~30 yrs.
    Why is it important to have unique passwords for sites such as uu, and other sites with no real information about you and no financial info? How does someone hacking these accounts hurt you if there isn't much there?

original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience
    Last edited by Booli; 07-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thread Information