Anyone use Patreon?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
While roaming around YouTube and looking for an arrangement of The Beatles' Blackbird that I'd like to learn, I saw that some of the posters had tab on Patreon, where you need to pay to access the tab.

Fair enough, since they did the work of creating the arrangement and tab.

But, what experiences has anyone had with Patreon? I don't recall anyone mentioning it here, but that doesn't mean that I didn't miss posts about it.

Looking at what Wikipedia has to say, there is varied content on the site, (including "adult" content, which I personally don't care to support), and they've been hacked, leading to extortion emails from the hackers, who had passwords, email addresses, and personal data.

I realize that any site can be hacked, and I don't need to be nervous about the world knowing that I wanted tab for Blackbird, but though it looks like there is some good stuff out there, I'm not sure about joining.

Any experiences from anyone?

I subscribe to 3 different ukulele people. They all charge monthly. If you only want the one song arrangement, you should be able to sign up for the month, then cancel prior to the next month. I found they charge on a monthly basis at the beginning of the month. So if you sign up for this month, you will renew in August. Most are nominal fees.

Patreon is common on YouTube music channels even for those with tens of thousands of subscribers. Unlike food, toy and makeup blogs, ad revenue is meager for musicians to say the least. In my experience is Patreon is solid and reliable as long as you adhere to their terms.

Thanks. Sounds like it's safe enough to try.

I found some other tabs that I'll be working on first, though, including someone else's version of Blackbird.

Give me a day off, and I can have lots of fun listening to and looking for music. :)
Now, off to have lots of fun trying to play some more.

I support 4 different musicians through Patreon. That is what you are doing in essence is "financially supporting them". Some give and give and give of themselves so it feels good to give back. I really appreciate access to all the tabs and lessons so paying them is no different then buying a music book.

I support OokTown podcast by Stuart Yoshida, $5 every time he releases a new podcast.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I have. I subscribed to Natasha Ghosh as she had a fingerpicking tab for some songs I wanted. I accidentally forgot to cancel my membership for like 3 months so I paid more than I wanted. Manage carefully!

I support 4 different musicians through Patreon. That is what you are doing in essence is "financially supporting them". Some give and give and give of themselves so it feels good to give back. I really appreciate access to all the tabs and lessons so paying them is no different then buying a music book.

I definitely agree with supporting the musicians. I just wasn't familiar with Patreon. Some sites are better managed than others, and I didn't know if there would be any concern about that particular site. Sounds like it's perfectly fine to sign up, so I probably will in the future.

Right now, I found various other things to work on, (and did pay for some of those.)

My wife and I support several musicians on Patreon.

Its pretty cool.

I throw a few bucks in the Patreon tip jar every month to support some musicians and ukulele-related sites. My only caution is to keep track of what you're paying and to whom. It's easy to forget that monthly payment, even after you no longer follow a particular site or player.

I have one pateron ukulele guy I support. To me it's like an electronic magazine subscription. Couple of lessons a week, access to past lessons, music sheets. 2 dollars a month. I don't drink much coffee any more but I know I spend more than $2 a month on beer. Where am I really getting my monies worth???

Last edited:
I checked out Patreon not too long ago, but I thought it said you can only enter it via Facebook or Google. I may have that wrong, but that's what I thought. Since I don't do Facebook (or any antisocial media, for that matter), and I'm wary of Google, I didn't take it any further. But maybe I had that wrong. I'll go back and check it again.

I checked out Patreon not too long ago, but I thought it said you can only enter it via Facebook or Google. I may have that wrong, but that's what I thought. Since I don't do Facebook (or any antisocial media, for that matter), and I'm wary of Google, I didn't take it any further. But maybe I had that wrong. I'll go back and check it again.

I hope someone clarifies that. I don't use FB, & agree w/ you about Google, but my quick look at Patreon didn't make me think that either FB or Google was necessary.

I subscribe to Cynthia Lin and Stu Fuchs. They provide several lessons a month, access to tabs and to all of the old lessons. A bargain and I like supporting their work to teach others.

I signed up with an email address. I actually create a different email address for every service I use online so if any one of them pass on the address, I know it and delete only that address. I have 161 so far. I pay for unlimited hosting.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Glad to hear that I was wrong about that. I will go back and see if I can sign up and contribute to a guy whose Youtube videos I watch a lot. He is, or at least was, on Patreon.

Top Bottom