Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Patreon?

Well, at the risk of getting into too much technical detail, I signed up with Patreon and tried to find the guy who I wanted to support (on Youtube) and Patreon needed access to my Google account to do that. I stopped using my Google account quite awhile ago. So one way or another, I'm ensnared. Oh well.

Regardless of my situation, Patreon seems like a good system of supporting creative people who provide lots of good info. I'm glad that you folks are making good use of it.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    Well, at the risk of getting into too much technical detail, I signed up with Patreon and tried to find the guy who I wanted to support (on Youtube) and Patreon needed access to my Google account to do that. I stopped using my Google account quite awhile ago. So one way or another, I'm ensnared. Oh well.

Regardless of my situation, Patreon seems like a good system of supporting creative people who provide lots of good info. I'm glad that you folks are making good use of it.
    I didn't try to sign up, so that may be why I didn't see a tie-in with either FB or Google.
    I don't have an account with either, so maybe I can't sign up with Patreon?
    I like to support musicians, (and especially those who help the ukulele community), and it sounds like Patreon is working out well for many of you, but this raises more doubts for me. I guess I'll table it for now, and can revisit it later.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I signed up with an email address. I actually create a different email address for every service I use online so if any one of them pass on the address, I know it and delete only that address. I have 161 so far. I pay for unlimited hosting.
    Wow, how do you keep track of 161 email addresses? I have enough trouble keeping up with various work related passwords, along with a few others for personal use.

It's too bad that we have to have these concerns, but that's the way it is.

original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience here on UU
    Last edited by Booli; 07-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

What if somebody hacks LastPass? You'd be hosed, right?

original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience
    Last edited by Booli; 07-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thanks Booli. I'll ask one last question and then I'll drop the subject.

Suppose LastPass goes out of business. THEN are you hosed?

I use Patreon to support artists and instruction of interest to me. I had no issue about the FB or google and did not use those accts to create a Patreon acct.
    I can support 4 or 5 people of interest to me and get tabs for very little per month or per creation depending on how the artist set up their Patreon system. I can see a summary on paypal and cancel at will. Phil Doleman, George Elmes,Choan Galvez.Tyler Austinfeld, Bernadette Echevveria I think it is a GREAT service. No troubles, big bubbles.

What do you mean by "access" to your google account?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Wow, how do you keep track of 161 email addresses? I have enough trouble keeping up with various work related passwords, along with a few others for personal use. It's too bad that we have to have these concerns, but that's the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    ...you can create an 'email alias', or 'forwarding email' that all messages get forwarded to another actual email. Think of it like a funnel. The end of the funnel is the only email address that you need to read from in that inbox. The forwarding addresses cannot send email, as they do not have a 'mailbox' on the server, but are exactly just an alias to a real email address, and the email server handles it all. For remembering passwords, I use a program called LastPass, that has a browser plugin for Firefox (and other browsers).
    Thanks Booli. I'll ask one last question and then I'll drop the subject. Suppose LastPass goes out of business. THEN are you hosed?
    Like Booli, I funnel my various email addresses to a couple of main ones, but with Apple Mail, you can add sub addresses so when I reply, I can choose any one of my email addresses as the sender.

I create passwords using a special multi character pattern so that each is different, but I can easily remember them. I will not disclose my pattern so please don't ask.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 07-19-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Thread Information