Anyone use Patreon?

Well, at the risk of getting into too much technical detail, I signed up with Patreon and tried to find the guy who I wanted to support (on Youtube) and Patreon needed access to my Google account to do that. I stopped using my Google account quite awhile ago. So one way or another, I'm ensnared. Oh well.

Regardless of my situation, Patreon seems like a good system of supporting creative people who provide lots of good info. I'm glad that you folks are making good use of it.

Well, at the risk of getting into too much technical detail, I signed up with Patreon and tried to find the guy who I wanted to support (on Youtube) and Patreon needed access to my Google account to do that. I stopped using my Google account quite awhile ago. So one way or another, I'm ensnared. Oh well.

Regardless of my situation, Patreon seems like a good system of supporting creative people who provide lots of good info. I'm glad that you folks are making good use of it.

I didn't try to sign up, so that may be why I didn't see a tie-in with either FB or Google.
I don't have an account with either, so maybe I can't sign up with Patreon?
I like to support musicians, (and especially those who help the ukulele community), and it sounds like Patreon is working out well for many of you, but this raises more doubts for me. I guess I'll table it for now, and can revisit it later.

I signed up with an email address. I actually create a different email address for every service I use online so if any one of them pass on the address, I know it and delete only that address. I have 161 so far. I pay for unlimited hosting.

Wow, how do you keep track of 161 email addresses? I have enough trouble keeping up with various work related passwords, along with a few others for personal use.

It's too bad that we have to have these concerns, but that's the way it is.

original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience here on UU

Last edited:
original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience

Last edited:
I use Patreon to support artists and instruction of interest to me. I had no issue about the FB or google and did not use those accts to create a Patreon acct.
I can support 4 or 5 people of interest to me and get tabs for very little per month or per creation depending on how the artist set up their Patreon system. I can see a summary on paypal and cancel at will. Phil Doleman, George Elmes,Choan Galvez.Tyler Austinfeld, Bernadette Echevveria I think it is a GREAT service. No troubles, big bubbles.

What do you mean by "access" to your google account?

Wow, how do you keep track of 161 email addresses? I have enough trouble keeping up with various work related passwords, along with a few others for personal use. It's too bad that we have to have these concerns, but that's the way it is.

...you can create an 'email alias', or 'forwarding email' that all messages get forwarded to another actual email. Think of it like a funnel. The end of the funnel is the only email address that you need to read from in that inbox. The forwarding addresses cannot send email, as they do not have a 'mailbox' on the server, but are exactly just an alias to a real email address, and the email server handles it all. For remembering passwords, I use a program called LastPass, that has a browser plugin for Firefox (and other browsers).

Thanks Booli. I'll ask one last question and then I'll drop the subject. Suppose LastPass goes out of business. THEN are you hosed?

Like Booli, I funnel my various email addresses to a couple of main ones, but with Apple Mail, you can add sub addresses so when I reply, I can choose any one of my email addresses as the sender.

I create passwords using a special multi character pattern so that each is different, but I can easily remember them. I will not disclose my pattern so please don't ask.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
original comment deleted in protest of feeling personally attacked for sharing technical experience

Last edited:
Some Patreon artists (Like Cynthia Lin) have apps where you can access they content directly.

You are using UNIQUE passwords, right?

Like NOT having the same password for YouTube, email, twitter, facebook, your bank account, etc????

Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise.

I do have email, but not YT account, or social media, or Netflix. I don't do any online banking. I don't pay bills online. Maybe that makes me a ludite, and I know the few accounts I have online can be hacked, but at least I don't have as many passwords are those of you with over 150 or more email addresses. Seems like a full time job just to manage all those.

But, I know if you need to have a lot of online accounts, your approach is a good way to go.

My approach is to try to limit the number of accounts needed. Not hack-proof, but it does limit my exposure at least a little bit. It's enough of a task just to deal with the work passwords that are needed. :)

Some Patreon artists (Like Cynthia Lin) have apps where you can access they content directly.

That's good to know. She is one of the people who caught my eye, so to speak, when I was looking at Patreon artists.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise.

I do have email, but not YT account, or social media, or Netflix. I don't do any online banking. I don't pay bills online. Maybe that makes me a ludite, and I know the few accounts I have online can be hacked, but at least I don't have as many passwords are those of you with over 150 or more email addresses. Seems like a full time job just to manage all those.

But, I know if you need to have a lot of online accounts, your approach is a good way to go.

My approach is to try to limit the number of accounts needed. Not hack-proof, but it does limit my exposure at least a little bit. It's enough of a task just to deal with the work passwords that are needed. :)

As said earlier in this thread, I subscribe to Cynthia Lin and Stu Fuchs via Patreon. There seems to be some confusion here as to how to subscribe to an artist's Patreon content/ support an artist via Patreon. As to my subscriptions, they were made via Cynthia's and Stu's Patreon sites. Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say. Since I do have a Gmail address I became unsure but have checked FAQ pages and it seems to me that
1) an e-mail address of any kind will work
2) Payments to the creator, via Patreon as the administrator, can be made via credit, debit card or Pay-Pal
So one does not have to have a Google account, or a Facebook account, if that's an issue. I don't do FB and I don't do PayPal. Personally, I've always felt indebted to people who provide free content and I like to support them. Plus, for me, it's both easier to be a Patreon than to have to pay for individual tabs, per tab, and one gets access to all of the content. So all in all it's a win-win, at least with Cynthia and Stu's sites.

As said earlier in this thread, I subscribe to Cynthia Lin and Stu Fuchs via Patreon. There seems to be some confusion here as to how to subscribe to an artist's Patreon content/ support an artist via Patreon. As to my subscriptions, they were made via Cynthia's and Stu's Patreon sites. Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say. Since I do have a Gmail address I became unsure but have checked FAQ pages and it seems to me that
1) an e-mail address of any kind will work
2) Payments to the creator, via Patreon as the administrator, can be made via credit, debit card or Pay-Pal
So one does not have to have a Google account, or a Facebook account, if that's an issue. I don't do FB and I don't do PayPal. Personally, I've always felt indebted to people who provide free content and I like to support them. Plus, for me, it's both easier to be a Patreon than to have to pay for individual tabs, per tab, and one gets access to all of the content. So all in all it's a win-win, at least with Cynthia and Stu's sites.

Thanks. I'll look into subscribing that way instead of directly through Patreon.
Like you, I like to support people who help out the ukulele community.
Cynthia Lin caught my attention on YouTube, but I don't think I ran across Stu Fuchs. I'll have to look into his videos, too.

<<Maybe something different happens if one tries to join Patreon, in general, can't say>>

LPeacock, that seems to be the case. Thanks for your explanation above. Based on that, I was able to become a sponsor for somebody without signing up for Patreon, and without giving my google account or FB. You are correct, it seems to be different if you become a sponsor from the artist's own video or site, rather than joining Patreon to do it. Very confusing, but I am glad to have this information.

You are using UNIQUE passwords, right?

Like NOT having the same password for YouTube, email, twitter, facebook, your bank account, etc????

They should ALL be different, and unique and at least a minimum of 12 digits of upper/lower-case letters, numbers and symbols, otherwise with rainbow tables and other hacker tools if your password has a 'dictionary word in it, with the speed and power of modern computers, the passwords can be hacked via brute force techniques in just a few minutes...

Yes, I do know some deep info about this kind of thing having worked professionally in Infotech, Computers and Network Security for ~30 yrs. :)
Why is it important to have unique passwords for sites such as uu, and other sites with no real information about you and no financial info? How does someone hacking these accounts hurt you if there isn't much there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom