Second Uke

ukegrom

Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm still a beginner but am considering a second uke. I currently have a Cordoba 15CM and really enjoy playing it. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a solid wood instrument and looking at a few. Looking at tenors for something different and was wondering if most people stay with the same scale uke or branch out in their collection. I have played both sizes and they seem fine. I just hope I don't mess myself up going back and forth :D

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello All.

I'm still a beginner but am considering a second uke. I currently have a Cordoba 15CM and really enjoy playing it. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a solid wood instrument and looking at a few. Looking at tenors for something different and was wondering if most people stay with the same scale uke or branch out in their collection. I have played both sizes and they seem fine. I just hope I don't mess myself up going back and forth :D

Benefits of trying a different uke same scale
1. Different and maybe better sound. Leading to different experience for the same songs and variation in choice of songs you like to play.
2. Experience a different playability (frets, height, feel, weight)

Benefits of trying a different scale.
1. Everything from above
2. Experience different scale and how it feels, you might like it or not or won't matter
3. Different portability (soprano easier to travel with)
4. Different tuning if going with baritone.

I have skipped concert all together and have sopranos, tenors or baritones. A friend of mine does only concerts but we have tried different scales.

In my opinion get a different scale from a different maker.

Most players that I know play different sizes, though many have a favorite size. A few players play only one size...……...some due to physical limitations (fat fingers, small hands, physical handicaps etc). You may want to try a solid wood tenor, something like a Mainland, to see if you like the size. Mainlands are reasonably priced, and a really good uke for their price point.

I only played tenor with low G for several years until last year when I also got a concert sized uke with re-entrant tuning. Now I find that at home I prefer the concert as it is more couch-friendly and many of the Hawaiian and Tin-Pan-Alley songs seem to sound better on re-entrant. But for playing out, and more modern songs from rock and pop genres, I prefer the tenor. So having some choices is fun for sure, though not a necessity.

Don't buy another uke just to have another uke. That way lies madness! Heeheehee

Play your current uke while paying close attention to the sound and how comfortable it feels. What do you like about it? What would you like to improve? Then go to a store or a uke club where you can play a bunch of different ukes. I know this isn't always easy to find but it's worth driving a few hours. This is education. Ask yourself "what can I get from this uke that I cannot get from the uke I already own?"

If the answer is "nothing" then wait a while. Eventually you'll try a uke and think WOW! and that's the uke to buy.

Some folks go for incremental improvements. I figure why spend money unless you're getting something really different? Decent laminate to entry-level solid body is hardly a change at all. Buy a banjo uke instead! :cool:

UAS is a common, degenerative illness that afflicts all musicians, its sad but it happens and there is nothing you can do about it but smile and then go out and buy another one.

So yes do buy one, which one is a mute point. If you can go to a Music Store that have a good selection, take your Cordoba with you so you can directly compare it to each of those that you play.

Do also bear in mind that what strings are fitted makes a tremendous difference to the sound so once you have shortlisted two or three ukes go home and research them further in particular see if string test comparisons have been posted.

BTW
I assume that you are considering a solid wood acoustic and not a solid bodied Uke, for if it is the latter look no further than a Risa with either their ST or LP models.

Going back to your question, tried and discounted Sopranos, far to small for my arthritic hands, tried Concerts and they are good for me, I would not bother with a baritone myself (rather buy an acoustic guitar), a Tenor just feels right for me.

So do try a few different sizes whilst you are playing ukes at a music store. I must have played about ten different ukes last time I went into a specific store, only went in to buy some strings and got carried away. I did just manage to avoid buying another uke.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Last edited:
UAS is a common, degenerative illness that afflicts all musicians, its sad but it happens and there is nothing you can do about it but smile and then go out and buy another one.

So yes do buy one, which one is a mute point. If you can go to a Music Store that have a good selection, take your Cordoba with you so you can directly compare it to each of those that you play.

Do also bear in mind that what strings are fitted makes a tremendous difference to the sound so once you have shortlisted two or three ukes go home and research them further in particular see if string test comparisons have been posted.

BTW
I assume that you are considering a solid wood acoustic and not a solid bodied Uke, for if it is the latter look no further than a Risa with either their ST or LP models.

Going back to your question, tried and discounted Sopranos, far to small for my arthritic hands, tried Concerts and they are good for me, would not bother with a baritone (rather buy an acoustic guitar), a Tenor just feels right for me.

So do try a few different sizes whilst you are playing ukes at a music store. I must have played about ten different ukes last time I went into a specific store, only went in to buy some strings and got carried away. I did just manage to avoid buying another uke.

Do you have a budget in mind?

I have been looking at a few Ponos on The Ukulele Site. mango, mahogany and acacia. The Kala SMHT looks like a good bargain as well.

Ah.. The second ukulele.. it’s where it will all begin.. your UAS!
My advice is do not seek advice here, this place is filled with UAS patients! Myself included! Will not end well for your relationship with your partner who is likely to complain on your ukulele hoarding, your wallet being constantly threatened and endless hours spent searching for that one ukulele which will never be good enough when you finally have it.

So regarding your second uke, which is to be made of solid wood, I would suggest to go with a tenor scale. Then I would called this an upgrade from your first (tenor) ukulele. A concert would most probably give you a different sound and feel all together.

And if I’m you, I will up my budget twice or triple for whatever amount it is. Of course it is to be within what you can afford. This opens your choices to many good ukuleles that you previously strike out.

Happy hunting and welcome to UAS.

Go for it. My first year playing I had 16 ukes, all tenor cutaway re-entrant. By the end of the year my favorite was and is a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, laminate acacia koa body, preamp/pickup for $370.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
col50 wrote "would not bother with a baritone (rather buy an acoustic guitar)"

And I Agree. IMHO baris are for fingerpicking, clawhammer, that sort of thing, they give me an unsatisfying feeling when just strummed. I would prefer to have a guitelele, which is baritone size, but has 6 strings like a guitar, and sounds very satisfying picked or strummed.

Go for it. My first year playing I had 16 ukes, all tenor cutaway re-entrant. By the end of the year my favorite was and is a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, laminate acacia koa body, preamp/pickup for $370.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If I was looking for a reasonably priced solid uke this Kala would be at the top of a shortlist along with a Martin T1K

Try before you buy.

I went shopping for a second ukulele. Thought I wanted a second concert. Went to a local shop with good selection. Noodled around a bit, wow, I was really intrigued by the sound and feel of a tenor. Spent the next 4 months researching and listening and after some performance pay from work showed up ordered a KoAloha tenor from Mim's. Was a good choice for me. Have a second tenor now, a Godin. My UAS is satiated for now. I play all three generally at some time during any given week. Today it was a loud and roudy session with the Godin. Nobody was home to impress or bother. I do find sapranos more challenging for my hands, but I haven't ruled them out. Baritones I have no interest in. I guess the message is try as many as you can, find something you like, if it doesn't work out well sell it and try another.

Hello All.

Look for a music shop in your area that carries a selection of ukes in different sizes. Give yourself lots of time in the store. Go back and forth with the sizes on some of the more challenging songs you know, with stretches, etc. Also be aware that scale length isn't all that determines ease. Instruments with greater depth will make stretches more difficult than thinner ones. With sufficient time trying out the ukes, you will know what feels best. Buying ukes to try them out and sell them if they don't results in sizeable losses with each sale. Without those losses you would have considerably more money to put towards a better uke. If you look at the Marketplace, you will get an idea of how much you would lose. If you buy online, try to get a return authorization within the return window if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I play sopranissimo through tenor. I also have resonators and banjo ukes. "Variety is the spice of life."

First set a price you're willing to pay. Then start looking. The appearance of a quality uke can be as important as the sound. Take your time. My first good one was a KoAloha soprano.

Top Bottom