I Love These Ratios!

With all the fans of geared tuners, this could be a game changer in the low end uke market.

With all the fans of geared tuners, this could be a game changer in the low end uke market.

I doubt it, unless some Chinese factory starts making them for pennies--and I don't even want to think about quality issues if that is the case. As it stands, a $24 set of these still adds 1/2 to 1/3 the cost to a low end ukulele. I think the target market are the ukuleles in the $100-$300 range. Above $300, I would think that you would want Gotoh tuners (unless you were specifically trying to save weight).

I hope to see some outward design changes in these tuners before I add them to any of my instruments...and perhaps even material/finish options. I know it's early in the process.

I read in a previous thread, on builders page, that Graph Techcan get the cost down to a couplje of bucks in 1000 lot.

I’m sure it’ possible. It’s all injection moulded. Graph Tech have the patent. I think it would be good for all industry and all ukuleles . Their weight is excellent and as Jerry has said they work great.

Since mine are installed on a Fluke, which come in from the sides, it makes no difference about the length of the spool. Seems to me doing a few more winds would be a good remedy and shouldn't be detrimental.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Anyone else noticed this, taller string posts on the Ratios, and possibly shallower string angle, and was it a problem for you?

Yes, the posts are definitely longer than any post I replaced. It doesn't seem to be a problem, though, except that they stick up more and are more noticeable. That's why Gotoh tuners come in long and short sizes. Making the Ratios "once size fits all" keeps the price down.

I doubt it, unless some Chinese factory starts making them for pennies--and I don't even want to think about quality issues if that is the case. As it stands, a $24 set of these still adds 1/2 to 1/3 the cost to a low end ukulele. I think the target market are the ukuleles in the $100-$300 range..........

I guess I was thinking of $100 instrument as falling into the low end range. I guess it depends on perspective!

More nitty gritty on the Ratio tuners. I got a set to try on my Cordoba tenor uke, which came stock with cheap Grover knockoff geared tuners, which I see on many other budget ukes. I started with the G tuner. Took off the old one. I had to ream out the hole for the tuner post bushing on the front of the headstock, since the Ratio bushing was about 1-1.5 mm wider, no biggie. I then inserted the Ratio tuner from the back, and found that the bottom screw hole lined up perfectly with the old hole from the Grover knockoff. The top hole needs to be drilled new, leaving the old hole above it, as seen in other posts above. Tuner turns smoothly.

However, I noticed that the posts are longer than the Grover knockoffs, so they stick up about 2.7 mm higher above the headstock, with the center of the string hole about 2.5 mm higher than the knockoffs. This results in less string angle from nut to post, but I suppose that a couple more string winds around the post could increase the angle a bit. Could be much ado about nothing, just an observation, so far, as I haven’t finished the installation yet.

Just for giggles, I measured the Ratios against a genuine Grover 9b and the Grover knockoff, here’s what I found:

Total post lengths on the uninstalled Grover and knockoff were 21 mm. On the Ratio, it was 24 mm.

Height of the center of the string hole on the uninstalled Grover and knockoff posts, from the bottoms were both 16.5 mm, it was 19.5 mm on the Ratio. So, both the posts and string holes are about 3mm higher on the Ratios. Again, maybe not a biggie, but string angle is noticeably shallower, at least on this uke, whose headstock is 11.4 mm deep. Again, more string wraps could remedy this, but I also don’t want too many.

Anyone else noticed this, taller string posts on the Ratios, and possibly shallower string angle, and was it a problem for you? I’m probably over-thinking this in my uke OCD zeal, but just thought I’d note my observations. Will probably finish the installation over the next day or two when I have an hour to spare. I guess it's kinda the same issue as Gotoh UPT vs. the longer UPTL, and maybe they'll end up coming out with a shorter version of the Ratios, if the market desires that.

On the HMS installation video it states that there are 2 sizes, and that you have to measure the depth on the head stock to make sure you order the right ones. You probably need the smaller ones.

On the HMS installation video it states that there are 2 sizes, and that you have to measure the depth on the head stock to make sure you order the right ones. You probably need the smaller ones.

Thanks for that. Do you have a link? I couldn't find it.

Yes, haven't seen anything on different size options. On the Pohaku suite, where I got mine, they only show one option. They state that these fit headstock sizes between 7/16" (11.11 mm) and 9/16" (14.28 mm). Since my headstock is about 11.5 mm, it's no wonder the posts seem a bit high. I'm also interested in a link to the HMS video.

Nothing on the Graphtech site about different sizes.
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ratio/ratio-tune-a-lele-for-ukulele

The Graph Tech site shows only one size. I can't find the Ratio tuners anywhere on the HMS site, the only video I see is for UPT tuners, which do come in two sizes. I think Aquatopaz misunderstood Ukecaster's post.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, haven't seen anything on different size options. On the Pohaku suite, where I got mine, they only show one option. They state that these fit headstock sizes between 7/16" (11.11 mm) and 9/16" (14.28 mm). Since my headstock is about 11.5 mm, it's no wonder the posts seem a bit high. I'm also interested in a link to the HMS video.

I followed a link on this forum, but I can't find it right now. Maybe PM Andrew Kuker.

Can't find the link, but it was on this forum. Contact HMS. They had the tuners a short while ago, and another UU member posted the link to the video. I will look for it again later. I wish I'd bookmarked it.

The Graph Tech site shows only one size. I can't find the Ratio tuners anywhere on the HMS site, the only video I see is for UPT tuners, which do come in two sizes. I think Aquatopaz misunderstood Ukecaster's post.

No. I watched the installation video, and whoever installs them at HMS was saying how they install them as an option for those without rabbit ears, but if you do it yourself it was really important to measure the headstock depth before ordering them. He did the installation on the video, reaming and all. HMS had them in stock not too long ago. Someone posted the link on this forum.

String angle; Graph Tech Ratio tuners vs PegHed

So, both the posts and string holes are about 3mm higher on the Ratios. Again, maybe not a biggie, but string angle is noticeably shallower, at least on this uke, whose headstock is 11.4 mm deep. Again, more string wraps could remedy this, but I also don’t want too many...
Anyone else noticed this, taller string posts on the Ratios, and possibly shallower string angle, and was it a problem for you? I’m probably over-thinking this in my uke OCD zeal, but just thought I’d note my observations. Will probably finish the installation over the next day or two when I have an hour to spare. I guess it's kinda the same issue as Gotoh UPT vs. the longer UPTL, and maybe they'll end up coming out with a shorter version of the Ratios, if the market desires that.

I don’t think you were over-thinking this... was wondering about this before starting on changing out the aesthetic but annoying friction tuners on a plain Ohana SK-21. Friction tuners on this has been way worse than on a Magic Fluke Flea... (pink string is fluoro fishing line)
F37A4306-D253-47FC-B913-9AB1AB6B2752.jpg

Was wondering about the post height of a Graph Tech Ratio vs PegHed.
Photos on left: Kamaka white label; PegHeds (& strings) installed by local shop. (Yes, that’s a low-G on a soprano).
682C770C-DF65-4397-91A9-ED20DC95A77A.jpg

I personally don’t mind a few extras wraps of string around the post. But I’m not crazy about how much taller the post is, but staying in tune/intonation is more important to me. In the end, the natural angle of the headstock relative to the neck will ultimately dictate if string angle is ok or too shallow, IMO.

I don’t think you were over-thinking this... was wondering about this before starting on changing out the aesthetic but annoying friction tuners on a plain Ohana SK-21. Friction tuners on this has been way worse than on a Magic Fluke Flea... (pink string is fluoro fishing line)
View attachment 120834

Was wondering about the post height of a Graph Tech Ratio vs PegHed.
Photos on left: Kamaka white label; PegHeds (& strings) installed by local shop. (Yes, that’s a low-G on a soprano).
View attachment 120835

I personally don’t mind a few extras wraps of string around the post. But I’m not crazy about how much taller the post is, but staying in tune/intonation is more important to me. In the end, the natural angle of the headstock relative to the neck will ultimately dictate if string angle is ok or too shallow, IMO.

Would cutting a drilling the Ratios be out of the question?

Would cutting a drilling the Ratios be out of the question?

I don't think so. But I'll probably just try one as-is & go from there... when I get around to it. The mini ukes aren't as much of a priority right now...
BTW, I really appreciate this thread & esp the photos, Jerryc41! Thank you!!

Top Bottom