Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Love These Ratios!

Default I Love These Ratios!

I installed a set of Ratio tuners onto an Ohana pineapple sopranino. The shaft on the Ratios is very thin, as someone else mentioned, so reaming is not necessary. However, that thin shaft also makes the collars to the top of the headstock too small. Like a previous poster, I kept the original Ohana collars in the headstock.

I experimented with filling and coloring the screw holes. I filled them with Minwax Color-Changing filler. It starts out purple and dries white. Although I had ordered some filler and scratch-fill pens from Amazon, I was impatient, so I bought more filler yesterday. I found a felt tip art pen that was a pretty good color match, and I used that to color the filler. Then I installed the tuners.

By the following morning, the color had faded a bit, so I touched-up the filler. The furniture touch-up sticks will arrive next week, so I'll see if any of them are a better match. When I do the next uke, I'll wait till the color has dried before installing the tuners. It's much easier applying the color without the tuners blocking the filler.

Yes, those screws are tiny! I used an awl to enlarge and deepen the holes so I'd be less likely to strip the heads. One thing I thought was odd: the screws seem to be longer than necessary. I was concerned that they would poke through the front of the headstock.

I'm going to order more of these tuners and put them on a matching sopranissimo and other ukes.

Before and after pictures below.

02.jpg Ratio 1.jpg Ratio 2.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

You’re right. I like the headstock without the ears. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    You’re right. I like the headstock without the ears. Nice work.
    Thanks. I ordered two more sets, and the sopranissimo should definitely benefit from them - smaller and lighter.

Really nice, but your strings should go to the inside of the post not the outside.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Really nice, but your strings should go to the inside of the post not the outside.
    I have seen some instruments where the two lower pegs are strung to the outside and the upper ones to the inside. Some feel it works better as the strings line up more directly with the nut slots.

At any rate, nice job, looks great

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Yes, I realized that. I did this late last night while watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I have seen some instruments where the two lower pegs are strung to the outside and the upper ones to the inside. Some feel it works better as the strings line up more directly with the nut slots.
    Right! Martin sopranos are wound like that. The lower two are outside, and the upper two are inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I installed a set of Ratio tuners onto an Ohana pineapple sopranino. The shaft on the Ratios is very thin, as someone else mentioned, so reaming is not necessary. However, that thin shaft also makes the collars to the top of the headstock too small. Like a previous poster, I kept the original Ohana collars in the headstock.

I experimented with filling and coloring the screw holes. I filled them with Minwax Color-Changing filler. It starts out purple and dries white. Although I had ordered some filler and scratch-fill pens from Amazon, I was impatient, so I bought more filler yesterday. I found a felt tip art pen that was a pretty good color match, and I used that to color the filler. Then I installed the tuners.

By the following morning, the color had faded a bit, so I touched-up the filler. The furniture touch-up sticks will arrive next week, so I'll see if any of them are a better match. When I do the next uke, I'll wait till the color has dried before installing the tuners. It's much easier applying the color without the tuners blocking the filler.

Yes, those screws are tiny! I used an awl to enlarge and deepen the holes so I'd be less likely to strip the heads. One thing I thought was odd: the screws seem to be longer than necessary. I was concerned that they would poke through the front of the headstock.

I'm going to order more of these tuners and put them on a matching sopranissimo and other ukes.

Before and after pictures below.

02.jpg Ratio 1.jpg Ratio 2.jpg
    My Ohana sopranissimo from USpace came with black tuner buttons, which I think look better on it than silver ones would have.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    My Ohana sopranissimo from USpace came with black tuner buttons, which I think look better on it than silver ones would have.
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of silver buttons.

That’s a good looking pineapple!
    I think I have pineapple UAS

Ukes in order of purchase
    2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), <recovered> abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

Thread Information