Precision Circle Cutter

Kekani

Reaction score
Been loosely working on a jig like this in my mind, for years, based on the Bishop Cochran, but with other than Bosch routers. Didn't need the plunge feature, more the circle cutting feature.

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking of this. Now I can just buy one, but better. Aluminum, with linear rails and lead screw?!?!
https://elevatelutherie.com/product/precision-circle-cutter/

Last edited:
Kekani,
I've been trying to forget about this jig since I saw it sometime ago. Like I need another one! I have a similar laminate trimmer base made out of UHMW, which works fine. I also have the Bishop Cochran one that works great too. However, this Elevate base looks like it is the best of both worlds. Used with the new Makita style plunge router, which I love, I think it could be very accurate. The ability to plunge makes it much easier to cleanly start a cut , particularly in soft woods like spruce.While not absolutely necessary, I think you would appreciate that feature. We'll see who springs first. Have a good one!--Bob

Looks like a nice tool! Have you guys seen the stuff from Micro-fence? I have their larger edge guide and circular guide and they are very well made. They also make a precision plunge base for high speed rotary tools that I'm really tempted to buy, as it seems to solve the issues i have with the stewmac base.

I did pick up the rolling pin sander from elevate mainly to clean up sides and bindings and it works great. Still, for the money, I'm not sure if was worth it. A few hours and some thought and you could fabricate something just as good.

Bob,

I was about 50% when I first saw it on the OLF. I really don't need it as my current setup does exactly what I need it to do, including plunging with my DeWalt compact router (I have 2, with 3 bases).

The more I think about it, the more I plan on pulling the trigger. I think the rails and especially the lead screw is putting it over the top for me.

Pete,

I JUST saw a vid today reviewing "unnecessary" luthier tools, which showed the rolling pin. After I saw it in use, I really don't need that either, but I can see its use for guitars. I'd keep it as a gift, and probably use it too.

Last edited:
Kekani & Josh,
I've had a rolling pin sander for at least 30 years. Actually I have 2. I got them when I was doing furniture building. Never really found them that useful. Tools are funny. What 1 user loves, another finds useless. When it comes to lutherie I'm in the almost useless category on the rolling pin sander. Lots of better and more controllable ways to do what it is supposed to do. Like Josh said, I don't think they are really worth it for the $. Kekani, let me know when your new base gets here! Have a great weekend.--Bob

The required commitment, skill and patience is so much greater when adapting to use these tools upside down ... but after a short time it becomes intuitive.

I neglected to mention, I do a lot of my work lying on my back.

If the sistine chapel ever needs redoing I am prepared to be among the first to put Chuck's name up in the firm belief that I would not be the only one.

This is not how to cut rosette channels cleanly. I still use a set of tank cutters I made way back and there was even a treat from Ken Timms found in this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...-design-from-yesteryear&highlight=tank+cutter . Don't waste your money, by the rolling pin sander instead. I am....

Amazingly I've just made something similar to the suggestion from the old thread.
Needed some work to make the blade - but works a treat now - and only GBP 2.50 for the tool - plus a bit of old tool steel from an ancient plane.

IMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3246.jpg
IMG_3247.jpg

It gives a nice clean cut - when used by hand -
Unfortunately I don't think it's stable enough to cut for a rosette - yet :)

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom