Low G strings

Actually D'Addario has made a fluorocarbon low G for a few years. I actually tried the EJ99TLG. Didn't care for the dull sound of the carbon low G—prefer wound—but the other strings are nice.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...=EJ99TLG_Pro_Art__Carbon_Ukulele__Tenor_Low_G

Thanks, I thought they had a wound 4th string but that seems to be the baritone set, so I may have to give them a try. Though I have the EJ99SC on my concert and find the C string quite dull compared to the others. Though this could be that the action is too low and I will see how I like it when I get around to getting a higher saddle.

Okay, not sure if this is where this belongs but it seems to partially fit. I have a Little Gem. It’s concert scale as many of you might know. I’ve been wondering about strings. Also, I was wondering about restringing it to low G. I am a newbie so I’m not sure it can go low G, but I’m sure it can with a little work.....the question is what brand?

I’ve been doing some reading but can’t seem to get a recommendation on the Little Gem. They came with Nylgut. Someone indicated that Martin has excellent strings. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx.

Generally, and as with all general statements there are many exceptions, Nylon strings are used on banjoleles (banjo ukes) because they make a bright, crisp & loud sound similar to the sound of metal strings on an actual full-sized banjo. Wound strings should do the same. If I remember correctly a friend had D'Addario Titanium strings on his that softened the sound just a bit. I recently bought a tenor banjolele that came with Worth Browns on it. Those were too warm & mellow for it, but I haven't changed them out yet.

I just bought several packets of low G strings to try on the Kanile'a Pineapple I recently picked up on UU.

GHS Chee & Maisel signature Titanium/Fluorocarbon
Living Water Fluorcarbon
Oasis Wound/Fluorocarbon
+ a Fremont Soloist

These will replace the Aquila Wound/Nylon that came with it from the factory. Everything else I have is re-entrant and most have Martin M600s.

No idea where I'm going to start.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, lots to think about. Thanx to all for your insights. If there is a rule of thumb I guess it is “try and see if you like it.” sound is a personal thing...so I will try various strings over time to see which ones I like the best.

My Pohaku Tenor came strung with a high G, but since I have a Concert with that I wanted a low G for the Tenor. I found a wound G to stand out too much in sound & feel, so I went with a Worth fluorocarbon (clear) low G. The bridge slot needed expanding and my feeble attempt to fix it (without breaking something) wasn't successful, so I brought it to my local shop. They just slightly expanded the bridge hole and the nut (not so much that it would cause problems to go back to a high G), and so far so good. As a primary guitar player, the low G is more natural to me, but I still like the high on smaller size ukuleles.

Well, for me, it's a matter of unwound ones not fitting in the nut slot properly and having poor intonation up the neck. Using a wound low G is an easy way to fix that problem without modifying the uke.

I've found just the opposite. The wound are much thicker than the unwound I've found. My Joe Gee tenor came with a low g. I'm not sure of the brand, but it's black.
I put an Aquila Red Series low G set on my reso-uke and didn't have to modify the nut at all.

I also like the Pepe Romero low g wound string. Low squeak with nice intonation and tone.

Top Bottom