Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G strings

Default Low G strings

I've only been playing low G on one of my tenors for about 1 year. As recommended by many, I've always used a Fremont Soloist, which I like. While restringing the other day, I realized I was out of Fremonts, so I rummaged around and found a leftover brand new Living Waters flouro low G. So far, I really like that too, and was wondering what is the reason so many use wound low G, like the Fremont, as this LW low G seems excellent. Why do some think the Fremont is better than plain flouro low G? Is it boominess or something on flouro low G strings?
    John

Sometimes personal preference, sometimes it's the uke. I really like the LW low G too on my 5-string but the Worth Brown low G is "just ok" on another uke. I'm getting a Soloist (I think) on a new concert scale because I don't think either of those unwounds would work well on the shorter scale.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

!Flukutronic!

How thick is this LW string? I am not aware of that brand will have to check if strings&beyond carries them. I don't like wound strings at all as they only last a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    How thick is this LW string? I am not aware of that brand will have to check if strings&beyond carries them. I don't like wound strings at all as they only last a few weeks.
    Living Water strings are only available from Uke Republic in the US, or from Ken Middleton in the UK. I'm in the US and have ordered from them both. I think Ken was even faster in getting the strings to me, in spite of it coming from another country. (Uke Republic is sometimes out of stock, in all fairness, and Uke Republic is great to order from, too.)

My recollection is that the LW low g is thick, which is one reason I don't use that low g. I don't want to have to modify my ukuleles.
    I buy reentrant sets, and use the Freemont for the low g.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    How thick is this LW string?
    0.91mm
    http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/living-water-strings/
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

!Flukutronic!

I have the Kamaka wound Low G on a concert and the Worth brown fluorocarbon Low G on a tenor.
    In my very limited experience, the wound seems to have a longer sustain than the fluorocarbon.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Well, for me, it's a matter of unwound ones not fitting in the nut slot properly and having poor intonation up the neck. Using a wound low G is an easy way to fix that problem without modifying the uke.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    Well, for me, it's a matter of unwound ones not fitting in the nut slot properly and having poor intonation up the neck. Using a wound low G is an easy way to fix that problem without modifying the uke.
    ditto this. The unwound was very thick and I did not want to commit to widening the nut slot to accommodate it. Very happy with Fremont soloist and have not had a problem with them not lasting long.

for me, it is just a subjective thing. I always use unwound and always will. I don't like the unresponsiveness of wound G strings, I don't like the feel or the sound of them. I don't like the sound as you slide down them--that zipper sound--and I don't think the wound string matches the sound of the unwound strings and I find that difference disconcerting.

That's just my take. Obviously, if you don't share my view, then the whole argument is invalid. So, as I said, it is just a personal thing for me.

I've always used the classical guitar strings the luthier recommended on my Kawika tenor. At one point, he changed the G string recommendation to a D'Addario Pro-Arte D Light Silver Plater Copper Wound .028 I've always had great success with them ever since. They sound great and hardly ever break. When I got a tenor Fluke, I tried unwound low Gs on it and didn't like them. I soon started using the D'Addario low G on the Fluke, too. I got a Fluke with a rosewood fretboard so it could handle wound strings.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information