Season 388 - "Upstairs at Derek's - and Lynda's"

Vincent and Alison (Weeoriginal)

Borrowed music (Vincent and Alison, That's just the way it is) with narration and cascade Ukulele

Did anybody seriously think I’d be able to go the whole week without something from Depeche Mode? :D

Couldn’t resist a bit of keyboard work with this one!

Well I'd planned to do a cover of All Cried Out, which is an amazing song - but after a few weeks of putting up with a constantly sore left thumb I've had to admit to the possibility that it is caused by ukulele-related RSI, so I'm not going to pick up the uke for a week or so. Can anyone confirm or deny that ukulele RSI could be a thing? Anyone know some good thumb stretches?

Well I'd planned to do a cover of All Cried Out, which is an amazing song - but after a few weeks of putting up with a constantly sore left thumb I've had to admit to the possibility that it is caused by ukulele-related RSI, so I'm not going to pick up the uke for a week or so. Can anyone confirm or deny that ukulele RSI could be a thing? Anyone know some good thumb stretches?
Sorry to hear that - I can’t offer any advice on the RSI thing, but if you do eventually manage to cover All Cried Out please post the vid here on the thread and I’ll add it to the playlist anyway. It is a very special song - I love it! Hope your thumb’s better very soon! :)

I love Yazoo and Erasure---Vince Clarke is an amazing musician and songwriter. And the first Depeche Mode single is so great.

And it works as a preview for Steve's dream Season 389 starting tomorrow!

i've had some problems with my ring finger on the left hand which really stopped me playing proper chords for a while, but it turned out to be an old injury flaring up, and i was able to rest it for a while but still play, by open tuning the uke and just playing simple one finger (index finger) chords. more recently i had some elbow ache/pain in my right arm, which seemed to be when i got my kids classical guitar recently - it's bigger than my bari uke, i really liked it and was playing it alot, and i think my strumming arm being in a different position due to the bigger instrument body, meant i was moving a bit differently to strum, i eased off playing as much as possible for a little while, the elbow felt better within a few days, but now if something starts aching i stop much sooner - i was playing through the elbow ache at first and i don't think that helped.

i don't see how you can work around the thumb pain, without taking a break, but i know it's really hard not to play at all, uke-ing is so much fun and definitely is addictive! actually i just had a little plink and you might be able to play single notes, if you brace the uke pretty firmly with your right arm and hand... i didn't need to press against the neck with my thumb to just play single notes... you might be able to do something like that, so you can still plink a bit? i'm a fan of one string instruments, you might be able to pick out some notes on one string, i was playing the wound low g on a soprano, as if it was a very very very small one string bass!

uke-ers and guitar players definitely can have problems in their hands and arms from playing, the advice does seem to be take a break, and then come back to playing very gently, and stop as soon as you get any pain

and yes i agree with del, please do bring that great song, whenever you are able!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that - I can’t offer any advice on the RSI thing, but if you do eventually manage to cover All Cried Out please post the vid here on the thread and I’ll add it to the playlist anyway. It is a very special song - I love it! Hope your thumb’s better very soon! :)

yes I will post it once I'm able to play it! I worked out all the chords earlier in the week and I know I will be able to do it once my body starts behaving itself.

Love Is A Loser

Here is 'Love Is A Loser' from the Wonderland album. I remember buying this CD at Street Light Records. It was just when the 'used' CD thing was starting up, I think it was 1987. What a great album with so much good stuff on it.

Hi guys and girls. Been a while since I last participated but promised Del to see if I could do something for this great season. Weirdly enough I haven’t played that much for a while as I also have an old thumb injury in my left thumb which has given me a lot of pain and problems. Basically I cut into the bone with a sharp knife 30 years ago and I presume that iphone thumb writing and uke playing in combination is giving me problems.

Anyway, greetings from denmark where I have brought my luthier made tiny Allegro sopranino uke. Made in Italy by the fabulous Marco of Antica Ukuleleria. I am (trying to) play ‘Erasure - A Little Respect’ although I am really just strumming the verse. Playing in the garden so no singing this time. All the best.

Last edited:
Hi guys and girls. Been a while since I last participated but promised Del to see if I could do something for this great season. Weirdly enough I haven’t played that much for a while as I also have an old thumb injury in my left thumb which has given me a lot of pain and problems. Basically I cut into the bone with a sharp knife 30 years ago and I presume that iphone thumb writing and uke playing in combination is giving me problems.

Anyway, greetings from denmark where I have brought my luthier made tiny Allegro sopranino uke. Made in Italy by the fabulous Marco of Antica Ukuleleria. I am (trying to) play ‘Erasure - A Little Respect’ although I am really just strumming the verse. Playing in the garden so no singing this time. All the best.
i hope your thumb feels better soon, mads. thank you so much for bringing that lovely uke to the season - Antica Ukuleleria - he's the UFO uke guy! :rock:

I really liked Alison’s cover of Windmills of Your Mind, so I had a go at it.
(A slightly wheezy version - so much smoke in the air from my neighbours’ wood fires!)

Right then folks - it's well past midnight in Hawaii and the Season is now officially over. Thank you all for your participation and your excellent music! Wraps (with prizes!) to follow within 48 hours - hopefully sooner! Stay tuned! :)

Top Bottom